What's new

iphone 4 - issue with noise canceling microphone IOS 5.0.1

firemantom26

Reaction score
My Iphone 4 IOS 5.0.1 has problems now with the noise canceling microphone when I use hands free calling, face time and also recording videos. It does not pick up any sound. I have done a system restore and also have tried to clean out the little hole where the microphone is. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

do you have the phone in a case? if yes remove it from the case and try it again. If not and since you have already factory restore the phone, then you don't have much other choices other than setting an appointment with Apple store.

Yes, I have tried all that and it hasn't helped..............................

I don't have an Apple store close. do you think it is a microphone, software or a hardware issue?

since you have factory restore the software and the issue is still present, and since you are sure that you do not have anything closing the microphone port, then i think it's a hardware issue instead of a software issue. If After a fresh factory restore you can't use the microphone, then Apple store. Now you do not have any close Apple store near you location, try to find time and take the iPhone to the store if it's still under warranty, if not, then just find an iPhone repair center near to you location and that's it.

Hi all, quick question:
I'm facing the same issue and im told it's the noise cancellation mic. But could it be another reason? I mean it only happens during calls, and it sometimes picks up sounds randomly! But note that i tried using the iPhone's handsfree today and my voice still wasn't being picked up! Does the noise cancellation work in handsfree too?!

Forgot to mention my OS is 4.3.3! And this happened right after it fell on the floor, hard!

Yugi said:
Hi all, quick question:
I'm facing the same issue and im told it's the noise cancellation mic. But could it be another reason? I mean it only happens during calls, and it sometimes picks up sounds randomly! But note that i tried using the iPhone's handsfree today and my voice still wasn't being picked up! Does the noise cancellation work in handsfree too?!

Yes, the noise cancellation microphone is used for hands free calls. I took mine to the Apple store and they exchanged it for a new.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know wether to be happy i found the answer, or sad that i have to pay to fix it! :S
But thanks a million Tom!!

Yugi said:
I don't know wether to be happy i found the answer, or sad that i have to pay to fix it! :S
But thanks a million Tom!!

What did you find out to be the problem?