What's new

iPhone 4 microphone/speaker crackle

akoya00

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been having this problem with my iPhone 4 (jailbroken, running ios 4.1) which causes a loud crackling/distortion noise which interferes with all other sounds coming from the device.

I have searched around a lot but have not managed to encounter anyone else having this issue. As it is a bit hard to explain, I uploaded a movie to youtube showing the problem: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx1vc04UeYw"]YouTube - iPhone 4 microphone or speaker crackle problem[/ame]

Couple of clarifications:
1.At first I thought my speaker was broken. However, the problem is not persistent and if I leave the phone for a while, it disappears.
2.Then it appeared to me that the problem resurfaces whenever the microphone is supposed to be working somehow. By that I mean that the phone (and speaker) can be working perfectly, but when I get called/make a call (and thus the microphone starts working), the crackling starts; often to a degree rendering the call useless (I cannot hear anything else but distortion as you can see in the movie).
3.Rebooting after the problem started does not help. The only thing which helps is to put the phone aside for a while. Sometimes this takes 15 mins, sometimes an hour. All I know is that it seems to fix itself when it pleases to.
4.Because of this, it seems weird to assume the thing is broken, since it does work from time to time. Only when the microphone is active (call/voice memo), it interferes with the speaker and keeps interfering with all sounds being produced (even typing key-sounds) for a long time after the microphone is active.

I have no idea what this problem is. I'm based in Belgium but haven't found any luck on local boards so I've come here with my problem. Bringing it into a "Genius Bar" is not an option as we don't have those here. I am also a bit reluctant to hand it in with the shop where I bought it, since I'm probably going to lose it for 3-4 weeks (if I'm lucky) and am going to end up with a so called refurbished phone.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm still having this problem...really, noone here who has any idea?

Your issue up there makes me think that you have a spying software installed on the phone so that whenever you are receiving/making calls, the phone first try to connect to someone else or to notify someone else and then get you connected to your device, anyway, voice distortion is either related to something connecting to the device at the same time where it connect you to your contact. But question is, if it's a spyware on the phone doing that, how did you happen to get such a thing on the phone? Is your phone jailbreak? How is your phone battery life? Does your phone get strangely hot after 10mn of phone call? I will advice you to simply and purely factory restore the iOS.