What's new

Iphone 4 screen isn't smooth, please help!

diabolovir

Reaction score
Hi forum, I have a problem and I can't seem to find a solution on the web, that's why I came here. My Iphone 4's screen isn't smooth anymore and I have tried cleaning it with a bit of water but that seems to make it worse. It's really annoying especially when playing a game and sliding over the screen feels like sliding over glass. PLEASE HELP

Do you have a screen protection on the screen? It might just be because of the screen protector.

bab2010 said:
Do you have a screen protection on the screen? It might just be because of the screen protector.

I don't think he has one on his phone. Hey what have you been using to clean your screen. Have you been using any type of soultion

try using some window cleaner to clean it but make sure its not ammonia based, if you had a screen protector on it some of the glue must still be attached

So, diabolo... do you have a screen protector on?? If so, take it off and you know the rest about cleaning the actual iP screen.....

jbs06civicsi said:
try using some window cleaner to clean it but make sure its not ammonia based, if you had a screen protector on it some of the glue must still be attached

Using window cleaner can also destroy the screen
*taken from iPhone user guide page. 124

Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, compressed air, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPhone. The front cover of iPhone 3GS and the front and back covers of iPhone 4 are made of glass and have an oleophobic coating. To clean these surfaces, simply wipe with a soft, lint-free cloth. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch the glass.

Last edited:
I should have said, spray it on a rag and then wipe it off....

No, I don't have a screen protector and yes I have used tissues witha bit of solution meant for glasses, do you think a screen protector will make it better?

No, I don't have a screen protector and yes I have used tissues witha bit of solution meant for glasses, do you think a screen protector will make it better?

I'd really like to help you address your problem, but we can't get enough worthwhile details from you! In your first post above, you said your screen wasn't "smooth" but feels like "sliding over glass" when you swipe it. And that you've tried to clean it.... What are we supposed to do with that info???

Yes, a screen protector will help (actually, an entire iPhone case with screen protector included would be better). The new screen protector will give you a new feel on the screen, at the very least.

Hi, I put on a screen protector on but it seems to be worse, is there any way to smoothen the screen protector?

Hi, I put on a screen protector on but it seems to be worse, is there any way to smoothen the screen protector?

OK, bad day at the "office" here, so.....
So far, you've had problems with your screen, which you've cleaned, in not being smooth enough and too hard. This is also after installing a screen protector, which is in fact, another screen layer you have a problem with.
Would you please define exactly what you want/expect a suitable screen to feel like? Just trying to help!:rolleyes:

if you're in warranty give a call and see what they'll do for you. its hardware related

OK, bad day at the "office" here, so.....
So far, you've had problems with your screen, which you've cleaned, in not being smooth enough and too hard. This is also after installing a screen protector, which is in fact, another screen layer you have a problem with.
Would you please define exactly what you want/expect a suitable screen to feel like? Just trying to help!:rolleyes:

Well, my sister also has an iphone 4 and you can slide over the screen easily without grip. Mine, on the other hand, has grip and yet again it feels like sliding over a glass window. Maybe it will help to say that I have scratches on the supposedly "scratchless" screen, so could it maybe be that a layer of the screen is damaged and if so how can I help it?

PS: I don't have a warranty anymore so I'm looking more for a do-it-yourself fix.