What's new

iPhone 4 mic not working. Can someone please help?

info07

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having a problem with iPhone with my mic for quite sometime now. Could someone please help?

- I'm using iPhone 4
- mic seems to be NOT working when I am on the call. No one can hear me on the other side
- the weird things is I have Skype on my iPhone, and when I am calling with Skype, the mic is working fine and never had a problem
- Voice recording is also OK

I have done almost everything, upgrade the iOS, uninstalled Skype, SW/HW reboot,restore the device to deafult, tried with new headset and blu tooth, but nothing seems to work.

Please help the lost soul!

Thank you in advance!!

After a 7 minute search on Google, it seems it is a direct issue with the noise canceling mic at the top of the phone next to the headset jack. The best suggestion for that is to some how clean it out. Some suggest compressed air and some suggest a needle. If the unit is truly out of warrant, you have nothing to lose by trying the compressed air.

holy smoke! it worked! thank you very much, Skull One!

Very good... glad that Skull go it worked out for you!! I would like to add, though, for other users that come across and read this thread. Using compressed air to clean any oriface of your iDevice should ONLY be used as a last resort. Being that it can damage the sensitive components inside.

Thomasjtsi is 100% correct. Compressed air has the potential to damage the membrane of a speaker or mic and render it completely useless. Only attempt this kind of repair if your warranty is up and you know that replacing the phone is the only option.

my iphone 4 S is not working,and not able to switch it on nad reset. what shall i do? Wi Fi didn't work too.

Hi info07 and everyone else; It sounds like I am having the same issue you had.. Let me know explain.. Randomly whether I make a call or receive one, the person on the other line cannot hear me.... During this time the voice recorder works fine.. Sometimes it works normally on next call and sometimes it takes a while...My question, did the cleaning of the top mic work? Did it last? I tried yesterday with a staple and it didnt seem to work... Maybe try a pin.... Anything you can recommend would be great, Im desperate.. Thanks!