What's new

iPhone 4 - 3 Years old warrior lost its voice

diesel

Reaction score
So I have this iPhone 4 for the last three years and its in an immaculate condition for a three year old gadget. Earlier this year my iPhone showed its first ever hardware problem which was the camera. The pictures I took showed two dark shadowed spots and even after restoring it to a fresh iOS it didn't go away. After doing every possible research and diagnosis I believed the fact that it's the camera itself. The lens to be precise. Now this problem happened at the age of two and a half years of my iPhone 4.
Now it's 3 years old and for the last two months there's this problem with it that is going over my head. It's the mic. So every time I make a call or answer a call my mic either doesn't work at all or works only for the first few seconds which is always less than 10 seconds. I first did a fresh iOS restore of 6.1.3 and that didn't help either. Now on iOS 7 too it's still there. Now the reason this is so confusing is that I do not have this problem while using Skype or Viber to make calls. It also records voice memos perfectly. And it goes for both speaker calls and normal calls. Now if the mic was really broken it shouldn't be running well on other apps should it? So my next guess is the network I am on and so I change from one network to another but the problem is still there. Now honestly guys this is one tech problem I can't get an answer to.
What do you guys suggest I do? What do you guys think is the problem?

Skype and Viber are VOIP and use data or wifi. Phone calls use cellular service. I don't know the innards of the phone very well, but I suspect that is the difference in why they work and the phone doesn't. signal issue??? I have seen this issue come up before on here, but don't recall the solution. Have you done a search?

Yes I did but couldn't find any solution or exactly the same problem.
If it was a network problem then it would have fixed itself when I changed the network provider.
The signals are always full unless I am in a lift or some remote area.

It's time to trade-in your old phone for either a 5s or 5c. Target will give you $100 for your phone towards the purchase of a new one. Those guys don't even check the phone functions, all they do is visually inspect the phone.

It's time to trade-in your old phone for either a 5s or 5c. Target will give you $100 for your phone towards the purchase of a new one. Those guys don't even check the phone functions, all they do is visually inspect the phone.

I agree with you but I can't afford a new phone at the moment and I don't have Target in my country. But what I do have is many skilled technicians in a market here who fix smartphones very well and in a nominal cost.
I'll be getting mine fixed tomorrow, it's some mic ic or cellular ic problem. I'll update this thread tomorrow when I get the phone fixed.

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-help-15/caller-cant-hear-me-i-cant-hear-him-31038/ If you go to the link that "turmanator" provides, there are 178 pages of reading....ugh...sorry! I do hope you find a resolution to your issue.

Thanks a bunch for finding me the relevant thread, actually I explained the problem over the phone to a few gadgets technicians and they told me it's either a mic ic or cellular ic problem.
I'll be going there tomorrow to get it fixed.

So a few hours before I was suppose to go and get my iPhone fixed by a technician, it started working fine itself lol
Thank God!