What's new

Messenger mic records audio instead of voice to text

GMP

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max and when I reply in Facebook Messenger, I prefer to use the mic for voice to text. But it instead records an audio file.

I'm pretty sure a few days ago it worked correctly, but then I got some message about Messenger using my mic and camera and it started calling the person I was replying to in Messenger. It was a Facebook call, not a regular cell phone call. I couldn't even end the call by hanging up.

Currently, I have the mic and camera turned off in Settings/Messenger. When they were on it seemed that's when it started making a phone call in Messenger

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max and when I reply in Facebook Messenger, I prefer to use the mic for voice to text. But it instead records an audio file.

I'm pretty sure a few days ago it worked correctly, but then I got some message about Messenger using my mic and camera and it started calling the person I was replying to in Messenger. It was a Facebook call, not a regular cell phone call. I couldn't even end the call by hanging up.

Currently, I have the mic and camera turned off in Settings/Messenger. When they were on it seemed that's when it started making a phone call in Messeng
Sounds like an issue with Facebook Messenger and not the IPhone. That app does require you allow (give permission) to use your device’s microphone. I don’t make Facebook Messenger calls so I don’t know more than it requires you pushing a red button to make a FB Messenger voice call.

Sounds like an issue with Facebook Messenger and not the IPhone. That app does require you allow (give permission) to use your device’s microphone. I don’t make Facebook Messenger calls so I don’t know more than it requires you pushing a red button to make a FB Messenger voice call.
I guess the real question is has anyone that has an iPhone been able to use voice to text with Messenger? Or does it instead record audio? With Chrome on my PC you have to install a "Voice In" extension.

I got the solution from another forum. This works perfectly. Official Apple Support Community

Are you using the Microphone located on your keyboard or within Messenger?

Check your settings => General => Keyboard and turn on => enable Dictation

place the cursor where would want to place the text, then press the microphone symbol on the keyboard below the return key. after finishing recording, press the microphone again.

Actually, while I am glad you resolved it, I did a test for you and I believe it is a Messenger interface issue. I sent a message to a froend on FB messenger. 1st one gave me a pop-up telling me I had to gove oermission for FB Messenger to access my mic. This popped up when I pressed the blue mic picture on the Messenger talk screen. When I enabled it, it left a voice recording. So then I clicked on the blank message space, my keyboard came up and I did what you have to do to dictate a message or anything to the iPhone, I clicked the mic on the bottom of the keyboard and started speaking. Perhaps you didn’t know that that is how you dictate on iPhones.

I ran into that too with Messenger asking for permission to use the mic. I said yes, which I think most would do, I think that's when things went crazy and it ended up dialing a phone number with Messenger phone call or leaving an audio message. I then went to Settings / Messenger and turned off the mic and camera. They are still off and Messenger worked perfectly using voice to text.The trick is to ignore the Messenger mic and instead use the keyboard and choose the mic at the bottom of the screen.

I love the dictating on my iPhone, I use it all the time for Cell Text messages and emails. The dictating is far smarter and better than my previous Android phone. I wanted to use it for Messenger, and now I can.