What's new

iPhone 4 Major Design Flaw - Antennae & Hands Problem

As far as signal reception is concerned, the good news is that Apple has told Walt Mossberg that there's a bug in iOS 4 that in some cases presents no bars in areas where the signal is strong enough to make phone calls. Apple plans to fix this bug down the road.

I dont talk on my phone holding my fingers across the lines so...whatever doesn't bother me at the moment. I have tested it out on both my old 3gs phones...and does the same weird signal drop thing. Im pretty sure they didn't do that before IOS4.

I just received mine and it surely has the antenna issue as well. :( What a let down.

I have a 3GS with IOS4. I just tried and my bars went from 5 to 1 within a few minutes. I didn't truy calling so I don't know if is just graphics or real signal disappearance. I'm going to check that shortly. I still haven't seen Fedex at my place.

I just received mine and it surely has the antenna issue as well. :( What a let down.

Sorry to hear that. Are u going to send it back? I am posting from my iPhone 4, no problems here so far

There's no point of sending it back right now since I won't be receiving a replacement any time soon so I'm going to wait a few more days and see if there are any walk-arounds.

One thing no one has mentioned yet is the quality of ATT's signal wherever they are having the disappearing bar issue. Not that it would be the only cause but it may contribute to it. I hope Apple asks those who feel they have the issue to submit their serial numbers so they can get a handle on wether or not it was a bad batch. That would be totally understandable. Real life folks .... they rushed to get 600,000 phones out and if there are a few thousand bad ones out there that would still be less than 1%. The fact that some can replicate the issue and some cannot hints at it , hopefully, not being a design flaw.

One thing no one has mentioned yet is the quality of ATT's signal wherever they are having the disappearing bar issue. Not that it would be the only cause but it may contribute to it. I hope Apple asks those who feel they have the issue to submit their serial numbers so they can get a handle on wether or not it was a bad batch. That would be totally understandable. Real life folks .... they rushed to get 600,000 phones out and if there are a few thousand bad ones out there that would still be less than 1%. The fact that some can replicate the issue and some cannot hints at it , hopefully, not being a design flaw.

but they are all designed the same how can only a few of them only have a problem, i think its more to do with the carriers

Ape say it's something they will fix with fw updates, I seem to have it also typing covering up the bottom two antennas seems to take the bar to no signle