What's new

Iphone 4 lagging

spiritwalker said:
Why bother to close apps when running in the background then ?
Why not just let them be if that's the case ?

Sent from iPhone

That's exactly what I'm Saying. It's okay to empty out the switcher every once and a while, Just to make multitasking easier, but to constantly close them is pointless.

Apps do not run in the background.......well, mail, iPod, and phone app can, but that's pretty much it. I think a couple streaming apps from the app store too, but seriously 99% of apps are not actually running.....they are only in a paused state, using a sufficed amount of RAM, but not not constantly using it as of it were actually running in the background.

Oh wait....Safari can run in the background too. But only select stock apps, and a few app store apps. 9 times out of 10, your closing apps that are unable to even run in the background, which I kind of don't understand why they don't use Apple's native API for this......but then again.....that actually would make open apps drain battery and use more RAM.

iOS handles multitasking so perfectly, no one could micromanage the process better.

Once again when an app is paused it is still loaded into the ram and the iPhone only has 512mb of ram as it is. That isn't much. Any time something is loaded into the ram it need power paused or not. Ram on a phone works exactly the same way as ram in a pc or mac. If the app wasn't in the ram it would be closed. If it is closed it wouldn't be in the multi tasking bar. I notice a massive drain on battery having just 8 apps in the multi tasking bar. Also if you have black ops zombies on your phone you get memory warnings if anything is open telling you to close apps or the app will crash. Proof that ram is still in use.

Once again when an app is paused it is still loaded into the ram and the iPhone only has 512mb of ram as it is. That isn't much. Any time something is loaded into the ram it need power paused or not. Ram on a phone works exactly the same way as ram in a pc or mac. If the app wasn't in the ram it would be closed. If it is closed it wouldn't be in the multi tasking bar. I notice a massive drain on battery having just 8 apps in the multi tasking bar. Also if you have black ops zombies on your phone you get memory warnings if anything is open telling you to close apps or the app will crash. Proof that ram is still in use.

This is 100% correct!!!

That has no effect on virtually "anything". And it is better to "not close apps". iOS will handle this better than anyone could.
You should have the habit to close your opened apps from the multitasking bar, it helps freeing the ram and helps with better performances on the iPhone. Apple wouldn't create it if it was useless or has no effect or anything like you saying.

Them guys don't know what there talking about then. Do me a favor (humor me). Go to google and type in "how iOS multitasking really works".

Quitting apps makes the phone do more work than it needs to. It's 100% pointless. I can name a bunch of websites that will state just that. Real developers, not just some Apple fan boy enthusiast.

I know more about the iPhone than most "Apple Genius's" and that's a bet I will gladly take any day, any time. Closing apps in the switcher for nothing but make it look cleaner, clears an extremely small amount of RAM, and has absolutely NO EFFECT on battery whatsoever. Do you research please.

And 99% of all apps cannot "run in the background". They are only paused in RAM.
wrong. While in theory what you are saying is correct, it's wrong when practicing it. While back when i was having the iPhone 4, i did an experience on my iPhone 4 and proving that the more apps you have in the switcher, the less ram available you have but a lot of inactive ram memory. by the time your free ram will reach 12mb, you will experience phone call drop for incoming calls, some apps requiring more rams will crash when you tap on them to open them. I've experienced this, and posted screenshots on this forum, i just can't remember what thread was it to post a link here.
Theory is theory and doesn't completely match with the practice. You just have the impression that you know more than those Apple Genius guys, but in fact and except for jailbreak which they don't agree to deal with, they know pretty much more than you think.

bab2010 said:
wrong. While in theory what you are saying is correct, it's wrong when practicing it. While back when i was having the iPhone 4, i did an experience on my iPhone 4 and proving that the more apps you have in the switcher, the less ram available you have but a lot of inactive ram memory. by the time your free ram will reach 12mb, you will experience phone call drop for incoming calls, some apps requiring more rams will crash when you tap on them to open them. I've experienced this, and posted screenshots on this forum, i just can't remember what thread was it to post a link here.
Theory is theory and doesn't completely match with the practice. You just have the impression that you know more than those Apple Genius guys, but in fact and except for jailbreak which they don't agree to deal with, they know pretty much more than you think.

I'm sorry. But I am not wrong. If your phone has problems because you have a bunch if apps in the switcher then there's a problem with your phone. Perhaps while you were in ios 4? (which would mean its the iOS, and not your phone)

Something is definitely wrong if your phone does not clear the apps automatically (and just because an app is in the switcher, doesn't mean it's open, or even paused in RAM at all, an app can be completely closed and still show in the switcher bar). I too have done drastic testing on iOS multitasking.

If your phone just keeps the apps paused always and does not clear the RAM by itself, then you need to restore and setup as new.

Either that, or you were just constantly switching apps and trying to hog up as much RAM as possible in a none practical way.

Fact is: iOS clears RAM by itself.....and if it doesn't.......then there is something wrong.

What iOS did you test this on?

iOS 4.3 through 4.3.2 had major multitasking bugs where the phone would often not automatically clear RAM when it's needed. And that was the cause of the 4.3 animation lag. It wasn't quitting processes when it needed the RAM. And it wasn't only with user applications, it was the default API that Apple uses to make the Mail, Phone, And iPod apps run in the background. The few apps that truly could run in the background.

If you found these ideas through testing on iOS 4.3.x......then there is a perfectly logical reason or that.

I don't know what I know because I'm some genius hacker. I know what I know because I test tweaks for select developers in the jailbreak community. They have informed me again and again. Had it not been for them.... I wouldn't know these things.

And I don't necessarily mean I know way more than Apple Geniuses....I'm sure some of them have learned more about iOS than Apple wants them too. But I personally have never spoken to a genius that stated atleast one thing I could have easily corrected with a perfectly logical explanation. That's not to say they are all like that.....just all the ones I have spoken with. One will tell you one thing and one will tell you the opposite.

They weren't wrong about everything. Just lacked a lot of information it seemed to me.

Last edited:
Where did you learn so much about IOS?
Did you attend a course ?
Was it more intense than the genius training ?

Sent from iPhone

spiritwalker said:
Where did you learn so much about IOS?
Did you attend a course ?
Was it more intense than the genius training ?

Sent from iPhone

Haha very funny. Developers.

On my old iPhone 4 which my original testing was done was running ios 5. Unfortunately that phone developed a problem sending SMS. I took it to an apple store and they changed it for a new phone. This one works great. But on retesting the same things happen when too many apps are open. ( massive battery drain and slow iPhone) both these problems are sorted when I clear apps from the switcher. So is this one faulty aswell. If so that would make an extremely high failure percentage. 2 out of 2.

enots27 said:
On my old iPhone 4 which my original testing was done was running ios 5. Unfortunately that phone developed a problem sending SMS. I took it to an apple store and they changed it for a new phone. This one works great. But on retesting the same things happen when too many apps are open. ( massive battery drain and slow iPhone) both these problems are sorted when I clear apps from the switcher. So is this one faulty aswell. If so that would make an extremely high failure percentage. 2 out of 2.

How exactly are you testing? Are using the phone normally, just not closing apps from the switcher? Because I can can do exactly as you say with no lag, no battery drain....well, no extra battery drain.

And actually to get an iPhone that has no defect is more rare then getting one that doesn't. I have only seen a couple phones that had no defects. But I could easily point out a problem with "most" iPhones. As if they really rushed during manufacturing or something. Tho this could solely be because of where I am, what manufacture the phones that come to my area. Idk. All I know is, if you get an iPhone that has absolutely no flaws, you should consider yourself lucky.

I have had up 10 defected phones in a row...and that is no joke. And they weren't big defects, but defects nevertheless. Enough to annoy me. Like a tinted screen...to find an iPhone that didn't have a slightly, or terribly tinted yellow screen was almost impossible. And for $300.....yeah, I expect perfection. And I wasn't giving up tip i got one.

The thing is ya don't even realize a defect is there until ya actually use a phone that doesn't have one.

I have gotten my iPod touch replaced a few times because of random battery drain, and white lines in the screen that won't go away even after a restore. I got it replaced, whata ya know, 5 months later, those same exact white lines appeared on the replacement iPod too. Like what the frikkin chances of that? So I have come to a conclusion. Apple rushes the crap out of the laborers and do not thoroughly test there devices due to supply and demand.

From what I can see, they get the parts, put the device together, make sure it turns on, then boxes them.

Its been how long since the iPhone 4 came out and and people still buy the he** out of them even tho the 4S is out.

Last edited:
To do my testing I just open a load of apps. And leave it on the table maybe make a phone call or send a txt if needs be. The iPhone with a load of apps open was loosing battery at a rate of about 1% every 2 mins. Also I had so many apps in the switcher while typing I had to press a key and the button would press about 2-3 seconds later

enots27 said:
To do my testing I just open a load of apps. And leave it on the table maybe make a phone call or send a txt if needs be. The iPhone with a load of apps open was loosing battery at a rate of about 1% every 2 mins. Also I had so many apps in the switcher while typing I had to press a key and the button would press about 2-3 seconds later

Okay I see. A little unpractical don't ya think? Just opening as many apps as you can? Of coarse that would slow the phone down, and maybe consume a little extra battery. Your constantly starting and pausing processes. Who really does that?

Who just opens apps and closes them continuously? When I say it's pointless to close apps, and remove them from the switcher I'm not saying "oh it's okay to constantly open and close as many apps
as possible" this is what I like to call "common sense".

Your literally trying to make the phone constantly load and pause, load and pause.

Try just using your iPhone as you normally would...except dont close all your apps....just don't load as many as you possibly can. Make sense? Of coarse the phone is gonna hog RAM and battery if your trying to make it do so.

I'm talking about practical usage.....
(I guess I should have verified that)

I still say there is no need to close apps in the switcher constantly, but at the time too much of anything is bad.

I can scroll through my app switcher for page upon page with no lag...but I'm not trying to Make my phone pause as many apps as I can. Like I said....it's just not practical.

zig9449 said:
Okay I see. A little unpractical don't ya think? Just opening as many apps as you can? Of coarse that would slow the phone down, and maybe consume a little extra battery. Your constantly starting and pausing processes. Who really does that?

Who just opens apps and closes them continuously? When I say it's pointless to close apps, and remove them from the switcher I'm not saying "oh it's okay to constantly open and close as many apps
as possible" this is what I like to call "common sense".

Your literally trying to make the phone constantly load and pause, load and pause.

Try just using your iPhone as you normally would...except dont close all your apps....just don't load as many as you possibly can. Make sense? Of coarse the phone is gonna hog RAM and battery if your trying to make it do so.

I'm talking about practical usage.....
(I guess I should have verified that)

I still say there is no need to close apps in the switcher constantly, but at the time too much of anything is bad.

I can scroll through my app switcher for page upon page with no lag...but I'm not trying to Make my phone pause as many apps as I can. Like I said....it's just not practical.

I think there has been a miss understanding. I opened loads of apps and then left it and only made a call or 2 and send some txts. I wasn't constantly switching between apps.

enots27 said:
I think there has been a miss understanding. I opened loads of apps and then left it and only made a call or 2 and send some txts. I wasn't constantly switching between apps.

Okay.lol. I don't doubt you. I'm sure you are experiencing lag after opening a bunch of apps. I dont to be honest.

You don't constantly switch between apps, but you would open an app, close it, then open another consecutively?

Because apps can be in the switcher and still not even be paused in RAM, all it is, is a list of all your recently opened apps, and the most recently opened apps are the ones that are paused. and depending on some of the apps, just one particular app being opened while others are paused can cause lag, instead of it being all of them. Sometimes it's a particular app...especially games. Games actually are a big one, and I really didn't take that into account because, well.....I don't play games. But they use more RAM when in a paused state. so my bad on that.

Just seemed to me you would open an app, close it, then keep doing that til ya got a bunch of apps in the switcher in a short period of time.

You can also check to see what's in your location for apps those things make the phone lag alot