What's new

iPhone 4 has more RAM than iPad

yokoboji

Reaction score
iPhone 4 has more RAM than iPad (sorry ..... It wouldn't let me post a link)

from Gadget Lab | Wired.com

The iPhone 4 is an even bigger upgrade than you thought.

When Steve Jobs introduces new iPhones, he skips talking about memory capacity and processor speeds: The idea is that this is an automatic computer that just works. But you’d think he would’ve at least bragged that the iPhone 4 has significantly more memory than previous iPhones and even the iPad.

Our friend Arnold Kim of MacRumors has verified that the iPhone 4 contains 512 MB of RAM, up from 256 MB in the current iPhone 3GS and the iPad. It turns out that Apple mentioned this during a session with developers at last week’s Worldwide Developers Conference. The session (#147) is downloadable for free for registered Apple developers.

512 MB of RAM would explain why the new iMovie app only works on the iPhone 4. It would also suggest that multitasking (coming with iOS 4) and general usability will be much smoother on an iPhone 4 compared to Apple’s other mobile offerings.

So let’s run down the list: a memory increase, the higher-resolution (960-by-640-pixel) display, a slimmer profile, a front-facing video camera, a 5-megapixel camera and 802.11N Wi-Fi. These are all improvements that make buying a current iPhone 3GS, even at its discounted rate, look like a sucker’s deal. No wonder Apple received 600,000 iPhone 4 pre-orders on day one.

that's why they couldn't give away the Storms when rumors of the Storm 2 started flying.. no doubt this thing is impressive! i'm even a little jealous...

I think this move was specifically for the video recording/editing feature for the new iphone. Other than that I don't see why they would do this because my ipad has no problem running many apps at the same time.

and the multi tasking, i see people having 1000 apps open at the same time without knowing it wondering why their phone is a little slower