What's new

My iPhone 4s is lower on ram than it should be

JohnPyn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so, first of all I'd like to apologize for the poor use of words in the title but I didn't know how to explain the problem I have (I'm not english I do apologize for any mistake I might make, if something's unclear let me know and I'll do my best to make it clearer).

The problem is the following: I have a lot less ram than I had a few months ago.

I have many jailbreak tweaks (I'm jailbroken on 6.1.2) I have no idea if this may influencethe ram or not but the more information I give the better it is I believe... I think but I'm not sure that aren't the tweaks that cause this ram problem but whatsapp. I have installed whatsapp on my iPhone 4s a few months ago and I use it daily and I virtually never close it from the multitasking bar. I indeed do know that if it's not closed from the multitasking bar it's not really closed but obviously I've tried closing it through the bar but the ram didn't improve.

Before I'm not sure if it's before installing and using whatsapp or if it's because of the tweaks but my ram reached 300+ mb after a reboot, now it's about 120-160 which is significantly lower. I also noticed that when I turn it on (or I reboot it) I have facebook, facebook's messenger and viber open... they're not really open in the multitasking bar but if I go to sbsettings and then into processes I can see them there, but... Even if I close and then free ram and do this a few times until they're totally gone, the maximum amount of ram I can reach is nowhere near 300 or 320 which was almost the highest. If it reaches 240-260 anything I open drops it down significantly, such as calculator which shouldn't use or rather didn't didn't use a lot of ram now uses up to 100. If I don't open anything once I have 270 (which is very rare and I have to free it 3-4 times through sbsettings) and I just put it in stand by, if I check after 10 minutes then the ram is down to the normal level which is now 140-170. Is there anything I can do? If you need a list of the tweaks I have let me know, I'll write it.

Thank you very much in advance for all your help, I'll be really grateful to anyone that can help me. Thanks.

Unused RAM is a waste of RAM. iOS has one of the best resource managements on mobile devices. Unless your device is experiencing panic issues, you don't have to worry about your RAM being insufficient

I apologize but I'm not sure that I understand.. I actuslly found it to be a problem because even if I open normal simple apps they lag and then after not long they crash because the ram gets lower andd lower whether I use it or just leave it open. Not only this but also I can't open 2 apps at the same time because one of the 2 now uses so much ram that if I open another the first ome gets closed. Thank you very much for your kind help

Then it's not a RAM issue. It's a tweak issue that's either incompatible and demanding more resources than necessary, or a tweak is causing a RAM leak. Unless you've forced an iOS 7 only version of an app onto your iOS 6 device, the issue will not be app related

So it's a tweak issue? Should I try disabling all and renabling all 1 by 1 or there's a particular tweak that gives this problem? I don't think I forced any iOS 7 apps for 2 reasons... One being that it was before iOS 7 I believe (it's been so long that I don't remember) and the other is that I wouldn't know how to do it^^ Thank you very much for all your help, I hope I'll be able to solve this problem, I'll wait for your kind advice, thanks

Place the phone in safe mode and see if it still crashes when running the same apps under the same circumstances.

The problem with that, with placing the phone in safe mode is that I can't monitor the ram that way since instead of seeing the ram because I Activated it through sbsettings I see the safe mode writing...

The app doesn't always crash, I'll try explaining my self a little better... Basically speaking about whatsapp for example, every message I write the ram goes down by a lot, when it's below 40 it stops going down and it starts lagging a lot and after a few more messages it crashes

That situation is not reflective of an app. There's a tweak running in the background that's taking more resources than necessary and not giving iOS the ability to clear out unused RAM. Because the tweak is hogging all the RAM and exerting it's priority, iOS does not terminate or clear some of its cache, and the result is a crash.

Upload a text version of your tweaks installed by installing and running AppInfo.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

I've tried running app info but when I click onto "export" it crashes... But here's my list of tweaks

I have a 2 unique themes
abstergo
activator
bitesms
bolt
bridge
capture web
various fonts
change carrier
color keyboard
cyueue
dock
dockhide
fullscreen lockscreen
ikeywi
ifile
infinidock
Infinifolders
instalauncher
killbackground
locklyrics, locksliderz
miniplayer
mobileterminal
no percentage sign
no dock
nonewsisgoodnews
photoorganizer
Protecti
quick reply for whatsapp
ringx lite
safari download manager
spot remover
Swipe selection
touchpose plus (for some reason I can't find the plus vharacter on my keyboard)
winterboard
20 secs lockscreen

I open normal simple apps they lag and then after not long they crash because the ram gets lower andd lower whether I use it or just leave it open.
zXrRZk

Anyone has any idea what can I try? I was thinking to try ilexrat which I have installed on my iPhone for quite some time now but I've never used for mainly 2 reasons, the first is that I'm not sure that it may fix the problem (I've been thinking that I may have installed a cydia tweak that's not entirely compatible and even uninstalling it won't solve the problem, I'm not sure that it's even possible but this is what I thought), and the second reason is that I've read that it may ruin your phone even more and at that point you'd have to upgrade to iOS7... Should I try anyway? Is it true that if it doesn't work I may have to upgrade to iOS7 or with this new version this doesn't happen anymore? Thanks for helping me

Edit: I'm asking this because to me ilexrat doesn't look like a full restore (and actually it's not :D) but just as a fast way to manually delete all tweaks and all apps, I think that if you delete all manually or with ilexrat is the same but I may be wrong, I'm probably wrong, I'm not an expert but for some reason this is what I think, I'll really appreciate anyone that can help me, thanks a lot

Last edited:
ILEX R.A.T. completely removes the directories and leaves no residual tweaks. If the Cydia you're running is a bad copy, running the following commands using SSH/Command Terminal/Mobile Terminal will reinstall Cydia

apt-get remove cydia

apt-get install cydia

Cydia 1.1.8 will be installed

Willerz, I thank you with all of my heart for all your help, for all the help you've been giving me throughout the thread. I was wondering though, I've never used ILEX R.A.T. I did see some videos about it but nothing about removing and actually reinstalling cydia... you're saying that if I write in the mobile terminal apt-get remove cydia it'll remove cydia? and then if I write apt-get install cydia will install cydia? But... if I delete cydia shouldn't mobile terminal get deleted as well since it's a cydia tweak? So if I delete and reinstall cydia the way you said and if I understood correctly any not fully compatible tweak will get removed and it'll leave no residue so whatever the problem will get fixed?

Thank you once again you're helping me a lot, you're really incredibly kind.

Tweaks are not dependent of Cydia. Think of Cydia as a download manager. You strictly download and manage packages with it. Reinstalling Cydia with fix Cydia related issues such as tweaks that depend on Cydia core files, which can be a handful of tweaks. Removing Cydia does not remove your tweaks. In most cases, I recommend using ILEX R.A.T, then when asked whether you want to remove MobileTerminal at the end of ILEX R.A.T, say no so that after the reboot, MobileTerminal is still there. Start Cydia once to load the cache, then run the commands and run Cydia afresh again.

The purpose of this is to remove all Cydia tweaks and their data with ILEX RAT, then reinstalling a fresh copy of Cydia from scratch to replace any possibly corrupted cache files from Cydia that may cause an issue. Make sure you backup your device first prior to using ILEX RAT

Sent from my iPad Mini via Tapa

Now I think I've understood; so basically I should remove all tweaks, but keep mobile terminal, then remove and reinstall cydia, is that correct? And to do that I go into mobile terminal, ILEX R.A.T. Options and then write apt-get remove cydia? I apologize but I've never used mobile terminal and I'm not sure how. I know that with the new version you can use only ILEX app and you don't need mobile terminal but there are only 2 options instead of 12 but if I understood this too correctly I should do everything through mobile terminal instead of the app.

Basically to sum up I go in mobile terminal, run rat comand, choose one of the 12 options and choose the one to remove all tweaks, then I choose to keep mobile terminal, once it's done I go once again in mobile terminal and remove and reinstall cydia? Although I'm not sure how to run thr apt comand I think I've understood apart from that.

Thank you very much once again, you're helping me so much