What's new

Iphone 4 display will not stay on

Jimbob

Reaction score
Really Hoping someone here has an idea on this

I have an iPhone 4 which has a problem with the display. When i press either the home or power button the display flickers on for a split second then straight back off. It turns back off almost instantly and then stays off. The screen doesnt always respond like this every time i press either button sometimes it just stays off.

I managed to resolve this about 4 days ago (When i first received the phone) by restoring the iPhone through iTunes. The display then worked perfectly until today where the same issue has cropped up again.

Here's what i tried to find the cause of the problem so far

Have tried restoring twice twice today but no luck. (iTunes acknowledges when i put the phone in DFU mode and i am allowed to try restore)

Holding down power/home button for 10 seconds brought up a display the first time this happened 4 days ago, however today no luck. The screen still flickers on then back off, or remains off.

I have another spare working iPhone 4 here and have tried a working LCD screen in the problematic Iphone, have also tried a good battery and lower dock connector.(For the sake of ruling things out)

At this stage im convinced its software related but my knowledge on the software side of things with iPhones is lacking. The phone has successfully been restored to 6.1.3. according to iTunes

I'm not sure whether the prior owner has tried jailbreaking it or anything. Also just to add the 4 days the phone was working it was left on but completely idle as i had no microsim

Please let me know if you have any ideas.