What's new

iPhone 3GS Stuck in DFU mode for good

MoArTea

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an iPhone 3GS "newer" model which is stuck in DFU mode. To cut the story short:

- I accidentally selected NO on the "newer model" question when trying to jailbreak and it froze in DFU, never came back.
- I tried all the methods found on the internet: starting with 3.1.3 restore, to full official 4.2.1 restore, custom restores, ireb auto-boot, i even left it for 10 days to run out of battery. It's kind of beaten up and i don't want to take it apart in order to pull out the battery.... I don't think i can put it back in one piece....

Any ideas ?

Thanks....

Push down power button and home button until the screen comes back or until it goes to recovery mode.
Or you can just connect it to your computer and open itunes and let itunes find that it's in dfu mode. Incase you have tried it already, try it again but this time restart your computer and try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is in DFU mode as initially specified. I'm not a noob at this so please don't treat me as one. I already tried the methods specified by you too several times.

It is in DFU mode as initially specified. I'm not a noob at this so please don't treat me as one. I already tried the methods specified by you too several times.

Hum??? And itunes couldn't find your phone in dfu mode? How did you get it out from dfu mode?
Hoo and when i say power and home button, i mean that you should press both of them while having your device connect to your computer and itunes open. That works for me, and but i'm on iphone4 so maybe it doesn't apply for other iphone???

Last edited:
I'll tell you again:

- It doesn't work.

Can you post what error messages you get then?
When you connect the phone you should get a specific message from iTunes.
Then when you try and restore, again you should get a specific error with an error code.
Providing these will help analyse the problem.
But just for the record, if you are truly stuck in a DFU loop, that is an indication of a total failure. DFU is not designed to be loopable. There has to be something spectacularly wrong if the device cannot exit DFU mode by pressing home and power for 10 seconds...

Last edited:
The only way I can get out of DFU is by starting it with "Just boot tethered now option" in redsn0w.

The iphone has it's SHSH saved begining with 3.1.3 so I can install any version starting from that.

When I connect it it says that itunes detected a device in recovery mode and has to CHECK online to identify it.

I got a lot of errors until now, but always managed to get around them.

Last edited: