What's new

iPhone 3GS restarting itself

kcheleb

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I apologize if this is not the proper place to post this .. I would like some help please

I have an 8GB 3GS iPhone with iOS 5.0.1 installed,
Lately I’ve been experiencing a problem with the iPhone that I noticed started when I installed iOS 5.0.
I thought updating to 5.0.1 would fix it but it hasn’t and the problem is still there

Basically my problem is that the iPhone keeps restarting/rebooting itself every 5 or so minutes. What’s funny about this is that this ONLY happens when I’m in this one area…my classroom in the basement at school
Whenever I am anywhere else the phone does not do this. However, as soon as I go to that classroom my phone will start restarting/rebooting itself every 5 minutes. One thing about that classroom is that I get absolutely no signal there, or if I am lucky then I may get 1 bar for a few seconds before it disappears.
This problem is really driving me crazy and I’m not sure what to do. I tried restoring the iPhone but that did not fix the problem, and like I said I updated to 5.0.1 and hoped that it would fix the problem but it hasn’t.
When I was on iOS 4 this problem never occurred
NOTE: my iPhone is not jailbroken, I have not jailbroken it with iOS 5 or 5.0.1

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Anyone else experiencing this problem?​

It looks like it might be a bug or a new feature in IOS 5 but to make sure go to the same room with ur iPhone but put ur iPhone air plane mode if it does not restart on it's own then it means ur phone is failing to find signal so it will restart but if it does restart after doing this go to apple store and tell them about this that way they can report it to apple and get the bug/problem worked out

Just an update on the situation. When I went to class today I put the phone on airplane mode before going in and the phone still kept restarting during class

When I left class I turned airplane mode off and the phone restarted maybe 1 or 2 times after that and then it was fine, stopped restarting ...

Also, my phone isn't under warranty so I wouldn't be able to take it to Apple

Thanks for telling me this am not sure of this problem and not sure if this is a hardware problem since u say it works fine at home and other places right? So I sucspect that maybe there is a interferance with your phone and maybe something else in your class room sorry this is very confusing for me and if reseting it don't work then there must be something wroung with it btw do u have bluetooth on maybe when your in class? Or wifi on?

Yes, I do have my Wi-Fi on, but no my bluetooth is off.

Just another update on this situation actually, when I put my phone on airplane mode .. the phone starts restarting itself as well, and this happens no matter where I am. If I put my phone on airplane mode at home for instance it will begin restart itself just like it does in that classroom where I have no signal. This problem definitely lies with the signal .. it seems like 0 signal causes the phone to restart every 5 minutes ..

Sorry for long reply as I do not have a iPhone 4S I am not sure if this is a new feature with the new OS so I stroungly advise that you bring your phone to iPhone for a replacement becouse if it restarts when it's got no signal then it has to be a hardware problem restarting like this is never a good thing sorry. Is there anyway u can take it to apple?

My iPhone is no longer under warranty .. I am not sure what to do

When I put my iPhone into airplane mode it starts restarting itself as well

Doesn't it cost $30 just to speak to someone over the phone for Apple support?

I have been Google-ing and came across this thread. I have been experiencing the same problem on my 3Gs running iOS 5.0.1, and I too have noticed it specifically seems to have started since I upgraded to iOS5, and seems to only happen when the phone losses reception (I get terrible reception in certain parts of my house).
Extremely frustrating... I will try the airplane mode test shortly and see how that goes