What's new

Why did 4S restart by itself after shut down?

iOdd

Reaction score
I just tried to shut off my iPhone 4S, but it didn't shut down. I pressed the power button until it displayed "Slide to Power Off" on the screen. I slid my finger across to power off, it went to the dark screen with the spinning wheel like normal, but it lingered there for longer than usual, and the wheel just kept spinning. I came back a few minutes later, and the screen was dark, as though off, but I pressed the home button, and the phone was awake. It was at a 2% state of charge when this happened, so I was surprised to see it revert to being on with such a low charge. Weird...

Any ideas on why this might happen?

BTW - Phone is not jailbroken, nor was it connected to anything.

Thanks!

The iPhone will refuse to boot up when the battery hit 1% other that that, it will still boot up. Did you by any chance try to plugin the charger cable after slide to power off? If yes that might be the reason why it powers on back again.

Thanks for the reply.

No, did not plug into anything following sliding finger to power off. Slid my finger across to power off, it went to the dark screen with the spinning wheel, but the spinning wheel just kept going and going much longer than usual. I put it down, and a few minutes later saw it was still powered up when I pressed the home button. Perhaps it didn't even reboot?

Is there a circumstance under which the device would not be able to complete the power down process after being initiated? My guess at this point is it was trying to power down, something was preventing that process from completing, so it stopped trying and simply reverted to it's prior state, which was "on".

just an odd coincidence. no need to worry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapalol

I had this problem on my unit also. Started around a week ago on my less than a month old 4s. Had this case when i noticed that i was having a really terrible battery life. Like a full drain on minimal use in around 8hrs. Every time i tried to turn off the phone, it turned itself on. Tried restoring and updating the ios but to no avail. Will bring it tomorrow to smart as they already adviced me to have it checked. I hope they'll have it replaced