What's new

iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 mixed errors help!

alexlloyd

Reaction score
Hi guys, after a day of trying to sort the iPhone out by myself through Youtube tutorials etc. I have decided to head to the forums in the hope that someone will have the answer for me. So here's my situation...

1) My iPhone froze, perhaps only for about 5 seconds and may have came out of it but I panicked as I was going on holiday that day, needed my phone and attempted to restore straight away.

2) When trying to restore my iPhone I received mixed errors depending on my methods such as 3194, 1600, 28 and could not fix it. I left for holiday without my iPhone.

3) Five days later I return to the iPhone and attempt to fix it, through various methods I got the iPhone working but after ejecting it from iTunes and various other errors it shut down again into what I believe is 'pwned dfu mode'.

4) My iPhone now has a black screen, and when opening iTunes I get the 'iPhone in restore mode' error message. I tried restoring and get the '3194' error message. Also when trying to restore/jailbreak using any software now, the iPhone just shows a white screen with no signs of changing.

I have tried various software such as Tinyumbrella, Blackrain, GreenPoison but am hoping somebody would give me a step by step guide on how I can fix it as after a week without an iPhone, my life just isnt the same!

The iPhone when working a week ago was running on 4.2.1 firmware and was jailbroken.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this, and I hope you can help.

Hey guys, really hope someone can respond soon... heres some more information if it helps.

WHEN RESTORING IN ITUNES WITH NO OTHER SOFTWARE RUNNING

3.0 - Error Message '3194'
4.2.1 - Error Message '3194'
4.2.1 (Custom) - Error Message '3194'
4.3.3 - Error Message '3194'

WHEN RESTORING WITH TinyUmbrella v5.00.05 AND IREB RUNNING

3.0 - Error Message '1600'
4.2.1 - iPhone shows a bright white screen, error message '28' appears and iPhone goes back to black screen
4.2.1 (custom) - Error Message '1600'
4.3.3 - Error Message '1600'

I dont know if this helps anybody, but to me it seems as though the iPhone is responding most to official firmware 4.2.1 due to it giving an alternative error code as well as the screen turning bright white, whereas it is unresponsive with the other firmwares.

I will be grateful for any help, I am really starting to worry about my iPhone and would be prepared to have the iPhone working in any state (whether it be jailbroken, tethered, untethered, factory settings and needing an official unlock/activation) just as long as I can fix it!

Thank you

I just followed the guide... I opened up the 'hosts' file in notepad and when I clicked save it didnt, instead opened up a 'save as' window and when I attempted to save I was told I do not have the permissions and I could save in My Documents instead, which I did not do. I tried to follow the rest of the steps anyway, but got the 3194 error message.

A quick update... I can fix the '3194' error by running TinyUmbrella during restore, and can fix the '1600' error by having iReb open during restore, however I receive the error message '28' now instead. With two different softwares open to fix the two error messages I am unsure what to do about this third one, I think all I need is for someone to show me how to avoid the '28' error message and I should be ok! thank you

You need to get that hosts file edited. You need admin privileges on your computer to be able to edit it.

Once you get it edited you should only get an error after the restore and tinyumbrella will be able to fix recovery like the guide says...

My account does have administrator privileges as its the only account on the computer! Do I need some software to edit the 'host' file? Because when opening it in notepad and I click save, it asks me to 'save as' and as a notepad file as opposed to just saving the 'host' file in the file type it was originally.

Slightly worried about the 'error 28' am I going to have to take the iPhone apart?!

I don't know why your computer is asking you to do that. Just edit it then press the x in the top corner to close the window. You should then get a pop up asking if you wish to save the changes. Just choose yes and that should be you.

Get the hosts file edited first and follow the rest of the guide. You shouldn't get the the error 28 stage if you follow it correctly...

Did it correctly, opened notepad as administrator (that was the problem) and edited the file and saved it... then I restored the iPhone and got the '3194' error! When running tinyumbrella and iReb in background it restores slightly (screen goes white) and I get the '28' error!

I cannot use Tinyumbrella to boot the phone out of recovery... because the phone isnt recognised in Tinyumbrella!

haha, im glad im not the only person having these problems, i have been messing with my 3g phone for ages and now have been given a 3gs's. I have done everything you have mentioned, and the only fix i can find is to install a stock 4.1 IOS to the phone, that will boot up then use redsnow or snowbreeze to jailbreak 4.1.

I have another one and it is running 6.15.00 with 4.3.3 installed, can anyone help me upgrade from 4.1 to 4.3.3?

Everytime i try it just does as alexlloyd says, installs the IOS and says phone is restored, will reboot in 15 seconds and then itunes comes up saying phone detected in recovery mode, iphone looks dead and makes no changes when plugged in..

Can some one please help me, its seriously driving me insane, especially when i have a phone that is jailbroken on baseband 6.15.00.

Only thing i can think of is as the server doesnt carry shsh's for anything but 4.1, 4.3.5 or 5.0 anymore, this is the cause of the problem?