What's new

iPad 3 Micro trimmed to Nano Simcard with iPhone 5

yof

Reaction score
I know this is possible for iPad 2's sim card placing it into iPhone 4 & 4S's size slot, but is it possible for trimming down a iPad 3 micro sim card and working it with an iPhone 5?

Has anyone done this? Please give feedback/ thoughts/ opinions.

&

Confirmed in At&t version iPad 3 and into At&t iPhone 5. But only 4G capability for iPhone 5 reported so far. Awaiting different location to see if recieve LTE from a user on MacRumors.

iPad 2 with 3G into iPhone 4/4s works but At&t sends warning notification via SMS to stop or else cancels other features and service.

Not sure about the iPad 3 with 4g into iPhone 5.

Also need to know if Verizon iPad 3 sim into iPhone 5 works without warning. I know the FCC told Verizon to unlock the iPhone because of the band they provided for LTE. But wondering if it will affect the ability of the iPad 3 which has capability of 4G into iPhone 5 which as well has it.​

Last edited:
Nope it's a lot lot smaller and you would lose some of the gold from the sim

Actually they can be trimmed, and yes it does cut into the existing contact area...

Not of its done correctly. The contacts on the standard SIM are huge relative to what they a tinkly need to be. I would only do it with a SIM cutter, but people have just used an exacto knife

I've had the same SIM card with Orange now for over ten years, it went in various handsets until i got my first iphone 2 g , then it went from my iPhone 2g ( still got as back up in case ) to an iPhone 4 so I cut the sim down for that easily . I was a little uncomfortable cutting the sim down further as I didn't want to be out of contact with anyone if it went wrong, so I've contacted Orange and arranged for them to send me a nano SIM card . Prefer to err on the safe side in case things went tits up cutting down the sim further which I'm currently using in my 2g with an adapter taking it to a full size sim while I wait for the new nano one to arrive.

One little bonus I guess is that Orange have kindly given me 1gb of data to use free of charge so that I can utilize the Lte network and try out the highly rated web speed Internet access, so in a way it was worth giving them a call :) and I'm on pay as you go too, and I can't even remember when I put credit on it last!!!

Last edited:
Someone verified on MacRumors that they have done it with a At&t iPad 3 trimmed down to nano size to iPhone 5 At&t. But only to recieve 4G not LTE as they did with iPad At&t. Another user commented that it could be the location. Or restrictive access could be the case. Hopefully someone responds to the Verizon to be good for both type of connections. Maybe at&t LTE' could be sketchy.