What's new

iOS 6.1 Released

I'm glad it's the same. The battery is just great! Also I noticed we can do facetime on 3g now.I don't think we could before.

When updating to the latest iOS, always perform a DFU restore, especially when you plan on jailbreaking. This ensures that the APTickets are correct and usable.

Apple already closed 6.0.x...
e5ugedam.jpg

Mother of god, thank you Cydia for auto-saving :D Saved my iPhone 5's blobs the second the iOS was officially released

So its safe for updating to 6.1 in iTunes? When updating to 6.1 doing a full DFU restore do we have to "setup as new" or can we use previous backup? Thanks

You can set it up as new or restore from a backup. As long as the iOS is a fresh copy that's not OTA, your APTickets will match and will be usable.

I clicked update in iTunes not restore and I'm now on 6.1 is this ok? Or do I need to go back and do restore? How do you know where AP tickets are and if they match !

so I hear update via Itunes, and DFU Update and OTA update... I got the ota and the itunes update... but how do you do the DFU update? I know hold power and front button till it resets, let go of power but hold front button, stand on head adn chant a voodoo chant to get to DFU mode, but ow do I restore? In prep for this past weekends hope for a JB release I upgraded to 6.0.2 via Itunes, set up as new... what should I have done differently for this fabled DFU update? Once we get the total confirmation that6.1 is brakeable I plan on doing a DFU Update to it and then jailbreaking the hell outta it... Just a bit confused what that is.

DFU update means putting your device into DFU mode, which is holding the power/sleep and home button for about 10-11 seconds, then release the sleep but hold on to the home until you hear the sound that a hardware has been connected or iTunes pops up saying your device is detected in recovery mode (even though it's in DFU mode with a black screen).

DFU mode basically allows you to restore your device in any state, meaning if you're in a loop or you have a bad springboard.plist and such and such, you can restore it. This is particularly important for jailbroken devices since in some cases, the restore trips the little mechanics in the security ports that're open/closed during a jailbreak, or in some cases, some of the jailbroken data are left on the device and since iOS does not natively recognize or support jailbreak data, you'll end up with a software conflict where your device goes "I don't know what this is, probably something bad. I'll just go in a recovery loop since I can't run that".

On clean devices, this is basically a failsafe way to ensure that the iOS is installed to perfection.