iOS 5’s New Siri-Powered Assistant Said to be a “Game Changer”

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Assistant.JPG
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9to5 Mac has a big report today rounding up all it knows so far about the next iPhone, and in particular it features lots of new information about iOS 5’s new Assistant voice navigation system, saying that it is such a significant leap forward that it will be a veritable “game changer” when it is finally launched. 9to5 Mac says that the new software will be one of the most impressive aspects of iOS 5, although as it needs the A5 chip in order to run, it will unfortunately only be available to iPad owners, or, indeed, owners of the next iPhone, which will also have the A5 chip inside, according to 9to5 Mac. And that could be a smart move by Apple, as if Assistant really is that good, the fact that it won’t even run on the iPhone 4 could persuade even iPhone 4 owners to upgrade. So what exactly is so good about Assistant? Well, according to 9to5 Mac’s sources, the voice control software “taps into many aspects of the iPhone [and iPad]”, for example, if you want to make an appointment, all you have to do is say the details, and they will be added to your Calendar app, or you can even get it to remind you to buy milk when you go to the store, for example. It also features integration with the iOS Maps app, and SMS and iMessaging, with the software even being able to read back your messages to you before you send them. Reading the article, Assistant really does sound very impressive, in fact so much so that 9to5 Mac refers to it as being like a virtual personal assistant inside your phone. Can’t wait to see it in action! [/FONT]

Source: The new iPhone… | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

I find it VERY interesting that the rumor suggests that an iPhone 4 can't run real time speech recognition on a natively compiled application. Especially since the Motorola Droid A855 at 600Mhz running the Dalvik Virtual Machine could do it with no issues in the same memory foot print as the iPhone 4.

So either the software is garbage or they want really want people to move off of the 3GS.

So I am confused. Will Siri be avalible to IPhone 4? I see that it is in beta. Will Siri be released with OS 5 for us IPhone 4 users? Looks great if it will work like it shows in the video. Have any beta testers had a chance to run Siri on IPhone 4?

It is not in iOS 5 beta for the iPhone 4. All documents at present point to Siri only being available on the iPhone 4S.

FYI, the Assistant feature is for iPhone4S only but NOT because of hardware restrictions but because Apple wants to force people to buy the new phone. Hackers are already working on porting it to the iPhone4, so for those who have the iPhone4 and want this feature, don't worry, you'll be able to use it.

Jmills87 said:
FYI, the Assistant feature is for iPhone4S only but NOT because of hardware restrictions but because Apple wants to force people to buy the new phone. Hackers are already working on porting it to the iPhone4, so for those who have the iPhone4 and want this feature, don't worry, you'll be able to use it.

Great news JMills87! Thanks for informing us :)!!

yes that is great news i really like it and want it on my iphone 4, thanks

Last edited:

ALOT of us cannot upgrade and i dont know if you can just buy it outright, but if iam not mistaken doesnt all the android phones have something like that?? thats crappy out of apple to do to alot of us!! thank god for the hackers!!

That is exactly the answer i have been looking for. Brilliant! And thank you :)

And i don't see why the A4 chip in the iPhone 4 isn't capable of running this, in all honesty "very simple software". And as pointed out by someone else that other handsets are already running Siri or similar software with ease.

I'm sorry but there is no way Apple are ever going to convince me that i HAVE to upgrade my 2 month old iPhone 4 for these very few and not very impressive extra's of the 4S. Bring on the iOS 5 JB'ing team ;)

I am angry. I have been using Siri on my iPhone 4 since I purchased the phone earlier this year. Now it is being REMOVED from my phone next week and I can't use it unless I upgrade. I think we should start a Twitter protest or something similar. Not the way to treat loyal customers!

I am angry. I have been using Siri on my iPhone 4 since I purchased the phone earlier this year. Now it is being REMOVED from my phone next week and I can't use it unless I upgrade. I think we should start a Twitter protest or something similar. Not the way to treat loyal customers!

??? Are you sure you were using that app on your iPhone 4 earlier this year? Where did you get it from?

I would LOVE to see your proof of that. I have been on the iOS 5 Beta since day one. Switched to it full time two months ago. There has not been one single bit of SIRI functionality in the Beta.

And considering this is your first post here, I will guess you are simply trying to stir a pot while having no spoon.

Does anyone know what upgrade will b with the 4 along side the 4S?

Skull One said:
I would LOVE to see your proof of that. I have been on the iOS 5 Beta since day one. Switched to it full time two months ago. There has not been one single bit of SIRI functionality in the Beta.

And considering this is your first post here, I will guess you are simply trying to stir a pot while having no spoon.

I'm not sure what you would require for proof. I am a member of the iPad Forum but am new to the iPhone Forum. No need to be insulting. I purchased a Verizon iPhone 4 as soon as they were available. I purchased Siri Assistant from the App Store soon after. I have used it often since. Today it says "I've been replaced! The new Siri is even smarter and better looking than me, and waiting for you on the iPhone 4S. I'll be leaving for home Oct. 15th. Until then, how can I help you?"

Very very frustrating.

I'm not sure what you would require for proof. I am a member of the iPad Forum but am new to the iPhone Forum. No need to be insulting. I purchased a Verizon iPhone 4 as soon as they were available. I purchased Siri Assistant from the App Store soon after. I have used it often since. Today it says "I've been replaced! The new Siri is even smarter and better looking than me, and waiting for you on the iPhone 4S. I'll be leaving for home Oct. 15th. Until then, how can I help you?"

Very very frustrating.

Ah I see where the confusion factor has occurred. You stated Siri, not Siri Assistant. Which are two different subject matters. Siri Assistant was pulled from the App Market when Apple bought the developer. I am sorry to hear that they disabled the app now. To me that is rather unexpected behavior considering it was a paid app.

If I might suggest, you should file a grievance with Apple for disabling a paid for app. I believe you have legal grounds to do so.