What's new

iOS 5 on iPhone 4?

carlos dinero

Reaction score
Being a relatively new iPhone user and not knowing much about how all this works, I'm wondering if when the iP5 comes out with it's new iOS will all current iPhone users be able to upgrade to that OS?

Those with iP4 will be able to upgrade for some time. Those with iP3gs will not be able to upgrade the next iPhone iOS.

bab is correct. We'll be good to go with the new iOS. Rather interested to see what they are going to be doing with it this week as well as when they are going to roll it out.

I think the OP may be asking if the Verizon iPhone 4 will be getting it, or will we be getting screwed like we have been thus far as far as 4.3.x is concerned.

My hope is that Apple is aiming for OS parity among devices (3GS and up) with iOS 5, and that may be why it isn't coming until Fall. I think the main problem is that up until recently, Apple didn't have a whole lot of experience with Qualcomm chipsets.

VZW isn't going to block iOS 5. That would be suicide.

I am waiting for my Dev credentials to be emailed to me so I can test iOS 5 on my CDMA iPhone 4. Because, like the rest of you, I want to be able to compare it to a GSM iPhone 4s to see if there is a difference.

no apple is not going to block it. the only iphones not getting the update is the 3g and 2007 iphone

3G is getting iOS 5, not on verizon but I see no way the block iOS 5. That would defeat the whole process of them fighting so much for so long to get iPhone support IMO.

3G is getting iOS 5, not on verizon but I see no way the block iOS 5. That would defeat the whole process of them fighting so much for so long to get iPhone support IMO.

3g is no where going to handle iOS 5

The following iPhones are getting iOS 5:
iPhone 4 CDMA
iPhone 4 GSM
iPhone 3GS

This is directly from the Apple Developer Website. Which I spent all morning on download around 10 Gigs worth of installs to so I can develop for iOS.

The following iPhones are getting iOS 5:
iPhone 4 CDMA
iPhone 4 GSM
iPhone 3GS

This is directly from the Apple Developer Website. Which I spent all morning on download around 10 Gigs worth of installs to so I can develop for iOS.

Cool, now we can just hope that the CDMA version doesn't take 6 months longer to come out than the GSM version. If Apple is going to build a CDMA phone, it should have the same basic OS as the GSM version, and offer ALL of the features. (Airplay, iCloud, etc.)

They have had 3 months now to get a 4.3.x build to us, yet we remain on 4.2.x