iOS 5 Beta 2 Reveals Apple’s Moves to Prevent OS Downgrading

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
tinyumbrella.JPG
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ars Technica has more news today on the latest iOS 5 beta (2), and specifically Apple’s attempts to make jailbreaking even more difficult. According to the report, based on a post on the Dev-Team Blog, changes discovered in the iOS 5 beta show that Apple is intending to prevent downgrades to previous versions of iOS. As Ars Technica points out, this is of significance to jailbreakers, many of whom rely on having the opportunity to roll back to an earlier version of iOS after a jailbreak that goes wrong, for example. But not for much longer, it would appear.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ars Technica explains that Apple is making changes to “APTicket” in iOS 5, which basically will prevent jailbreakers restoring “blobs” that have been saved after iOS 5. And apparently untethered jailbreaks will also be impossible because of these changes that Apple plans to implement. Anxious jailbreakers should check out the blog post from Dev-Team for the in-depth technical details.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Source: iOS 5 beta hobbles OS downgrades, untethered jailbreaks, Dev-Team Blog - Blob monster, via 9to5 Mac[/FONT]

preventing the downgrading can happen, i wouldn't care much about that even though it can be of great use in case the upgraded version is bad, but preventing the untether jailbreaking of the iOS??? there have to be a way around for sure. I will join the team if needed:)

I have never saved my SHSH blobs and i never downgrade but this seems to be popular thing to do and i am sure the devs with eventually have a work around for even this... and it seems by muscle nerds tweets its going to simply be by using a older version of itunes

I have never saved my SHSH blobs and i never downgrade but this seems to be popular thing to do and i am sure the devs with eventually have a work around for even this... and it seems by muscle nerds tweets its going to simply be by using a older version of itunes

Those guys are great. The untether will always be there, chouette :)

yes it will be... its not always very easy for them and a jailbreak according to p0six can take 5000 hours or more

yes it will be... its not always very easy for them and a jailbreak according to p0six can take 5000 hours or more

What??? That's about 7months or more man... Are u sure that great team spend such a long time just for coding a jailbreak exploit?

What??? That's about 7months or more man... Are u sure that great team spend such a long time just for coding a jailbreak exploit?

yeah they have a video chat with p0sixninja and thats what he was saying.

Wow I salute them for spending such a long time of their life for free just to make our life easier.

Wow I salute them for spending such a long time of their life for free just to make our life easier.

well he also admitted if it was not for the donations he probably would not do it, i dont know how the other devs feel but thats a long time out of their lives to provide a jailbreak

WOW....i never knew how much work really goes into making this happen. I'm glad that i donate to them and now have much more respect twords them for this....

I never understood why they bother trying to prevent Jailbreaking, people always find a way around it. I've never had a need to jailbreak though, it would be neat just to get some like emulators and stuff but not worth it to me.

While i'm at it, what is the difference between tethering JB and non tethered? I always see this but I have no idea what this means. I know tethering is like sharing the internet with another device, how does that relate to JB though?

I never understood why they bother trying to prevent Jailbreaking, people always find a way around it. I've never had a need to jailbreak though, it would be neat just to get some like emulators and stuff but not worth it to me.

While i'm at it, what is the difference between tethering JB and non tethered? I always see this but I have no idea what this means. I know tethering is like sharing the internet with another device, how does that relate to JB though?

well if they officially allowed it people would have all these features a long time before apple add it then they would have nothing to show off about when they announce new firmware, every one will think well we already have this or that