What's new

ios 4.3 just released to developers !

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wont be long for an official 4.3 now

iOS 4.3 beta and iOS 4.3 SDK beta are now available to iOS Developer Program members. Start adding the new capabilities of this beta release to your apps including the ability to stream video to Apple TV using AirPlay, iAd full screen banners, and HTTP Live Streaming statistics.
Download iOS 4.3 beta and iOS SDK 4.3 beta today. Only install iOS 4.3 beta on devices dedicated to testing apps built with iOS SDK 4.3 beta. Continue to use iOS SDK 4.2 to build and compile apps you plan to submit to the App Store.

iOS 4.3

This article summarizes the key developer-related features introduced in iOS 4.3. This version of the operating system runs on all iOS-based devices. In addition to describing the key new features, this article lists the documents that describe those features in more detail.

For the latest updates and information, you should also see iOS 4.3 Release Notes. For the complete list of new APIs added in iOS 4.3, see iOS 4.3 API Diffs.

AirPlay Video Support

Support for playing video using AirPlay is included in the MPMoviePlayerController class. This support allows you to play video-based content on AirPlay–enabled hardware such as Apple TV. When the allowsAirPlay property of an active MPMoviePlayerController object is set to YES and the device is in range of AirPlay–enabled hardware, the movie player presents the user with a control for sending the video to that hardware.

You must explicitly opt-in to AirPlay playback for any movie players you create. The allowsAirPlay property of MPMoviePlayerController is set to NO by default. For more information about using this class to play video, see MPMoviePlayerController Class Reference.

Framework Enhancements

The following sections highlight the significant changes to frameworks and technologies in iOS 4.3. For a complete list of all new interfaces available in the system, see iOS 4.3 API Diffs.

AV Foundation
The AV Foundation framework includes the following enhancements:

The AV Foundation framework added the AVPlayerItem, AVPlayerItemAccessLogEvent, and AVPlayerItemErrorLogEvent classes for tracking network playback statistics.
The AVMetadataItem class added support for loading key data asynchronously.
For information about the classes of the UIKit framework, see AV Foundation Framework Reference.

Core Audio Frameworks
The Audio Unit and Audio Toolbox frameworks include the following enhancements:

The AudioUnitParameterHistoryInfo struct (in the Audio Unit framework) along with supporting audio unit properties adds the ability to track and use parameter automation history.
The ExtendedAudioFormatInfo struct (in the Audio Toolbox framework) lets you specify which codec to use when accessing the kAudioFormatProperty_FormatList property.
The kAFInfoDictionary_SourceBitDepth dictionary key and the kAudioFilePropertySourceBitDepth property (in the Audio Toolbox framework) provide access to the bit depth of an audio stream.
The kAudioConverterErr_NoHardwarePermission result code (in the Audio Toolbox framework) indicates that a request to create a new audio converter object cannot be satisfied because the application does not have permission to use the requested hardware codec.
For information about the functions and types of the Audio Unit framework, see Audio Unit Framework Reference. For information about the functions and types of the Audio Toolbox framework, see Audio Toolbox Framework Reference.

iAd
The ADInterstitialView class is a view that you can use to embed advertisements more directly into your content. You present an interstitial view modally or as part of a transition from one page of content to another. For example, you might use this type of view to incorporate full-page ads into a page-based magazine layout.

For more information about the classes of the iAd framework, see iAd Framework Reference.

Media Player
The Media Player framework includes the following enhancements:

The MPMoviePlayerController class supports playback of video content using AirPlay; see “AirPlay Video Support.”
The MPMovieAccessLog, MPMovieErrorLog, MPMovieAccessLogEvent, and MPMovieErrorLogEvent classes allow you to track network playback statistics.
The MPMoviePlayerController class now includes properties for accessing log information.
For more information about the classes of the Media Player framework, see Media Player Framework Reference.

UIKit
The UIViewController class added the disablesAutomaticKeyboardDismissal method, which you can use to override the default input view dismissal behavior.

For more information about the classes of the UIKit framework, see UIKit Framework Reference.

NextPrevious

© 2011 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved. (Last updated: 2011-01-06)

Sounds interesting, but heavily slanted for video usability and enhancements. I'm not sure how many iPhone users use the phone for watching videos. But, any improvement is more than welcome!

they also introduced mobile hotspots

Yeah, but I wonder what the pricing will be on that! And with AT&T's limit of 2 GB/mo, things could get pricey using towers to feed your other devices via the iPhone. Is there any logic in that? Maybe I'm not "getting it."

well see, and verizon will offer it also so maybe they will have it cheaper.

also in app store when you update items it looks different they changed it a bit. not much of a change but a small one

they also introduced mobile hotspots

Yeah, but I wonder what the pricing will be on that! And with AT&T's limit of 2 GB/mo, things could get pricey using towers to feed your other devices via the iPhone. Is there any logic in that? Maybe I'm not "getting it."
i had my iphone before they change the data plans and when i upgrade to the iphone 4 they let me keep the unlimited data and still only pay $30 :)

I got the unlimited data as well, I guess I got lucky.

The thing I find odd with the new OS is, they've yet to release an untethered jailbreak for OS 4.2.1 but they've already got one for OS 4.3? I'll just wait for that one and say screw 4.2.1 all together

It's most likley the devs won't bother to much with 4.2.1 now either. Apparently the untethered beta is now all sorted...

It's most likley the devs won't bother to much with 4.2.1 now either. Apparently the untethered beta is now all sorted...

yeah i doubt they will.. 4.3 wont be long since they already released beta 2 so hopefully it will be weekly release until final so in feb some time and a un tethered jb so they dont waste it on 4.2.1 and give apple the chance to close it for 4.3..

only thing i notice different in 4.3 is the app store in the upgrade section they changed the look when you have apps to upgrade

yeah... for mac users we have had un tethered. but i think they will concentrate more on 4.3 now.

If it's true they already have jailbreak for 4.3 then I doubt we will see it for 4.2.1. At least more than we have already seen.

well news in this hacking section says chronic dev team are doing 4.2.1 and it wont be long now... so im glad i was wrong

well news in this hacking section says chronic dev team are doing 4.2.1 and it wont be long now... so im glad i was wrong

Well I am waiting. Can't believe I upgraded before a jailbreak was out. I'll never do that again by choice.

Well I am waiting. Can't believe I upgraded before a jailbreak was out. I'll never do that again by choice.

i rather be on the latest firmware then sit waiting for a jb, i love modding my iphone but not enough to not upgrade firmwares even if there are no noticeable upgrades in that fw