What's new

iMessage(texting?) & signal issues.

JuniorDean

Reaction score
I jailbroke my iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1.1. back in may. Honestly I'm pretty much in love with it (other than the sad widgets). Lately my iPhone has been having issues sending iMessages to my friends, it use to be instant & way faster then sending regular SMS, but now it lags for a long time on sending them & fails more often. Regular text messages don't seem to have that problem but then again most if not everyone I text has a iPhone. Also I notice my wifi going off or weakening more often & when I unlock my phone it's off for a good 10 seconds which I think would mean its off on standby. Another thing is while I'm using it, sometimes I'll get texts but no sound or banner appear, the only way I'll notice is the opennotifier status icon or the badge on the messages icon. Sometimes the whole messages app just crashes when I open it.

Also this is a separate issue but my iPhone use to live a good 6 hours on heavy use, but in the last few weeks I've noticed my phones battery die faster, like sometimes between 4-5 hours & a few times now 3 almost 4 hours. I haven't downloaded any new tweaks in the time that's been happening.

These are the only things I have installed on my phone from cydia:

1:htc weather widget animated for pphtml
2:per pagehtml
3:Cleanstatus
4:staustweak
5:Ncsettings in notication center
6:Clock widget for dashboard x
7:gridlock
8:bigify
9:ifile
10:unfold
11:Browser changer
12:copic
13:premium opennotifier icons pack
14:eek:pennotifier*
15: dashboard x
16:activator*(it came with something I didn't pick it)
17:jukebox for notication center on home screen*

Are any of those known to cause issues with signal, messages or battery? Honestly i feel like it would be statustweak or cleanstatus could be the cause of the wifi problems i just dont know why.Any feed back will be greatly appreciated, I just want my iPhone to be customized to the way I love it & still have it functioning perfectly. Thank you guys!!

Naturally, jailbreaking and installing tweaks does put a damper on the battery because some tweaks are running in the background 24/7 like clock/weather widgets, or if you're keeping 3G/4G/Wifi on at all times, that does affect the battery life as well. As per the signal problem, it might be your provider's problem or your location. Can you go more in-depth as in how often and during what usage would the signal be weak or die?

Naturally, jailbreaking and installing tweaks does put a damper on the battery because some tweaks are running in the background 24/7 like clock/weather widgets, or if you're keeping 3G/4G/Wifi on at all times, that does affect the battery life as well. As per the signal problem, it might be your provider's problem or your location. Can you go more in-depth as in how often and during what usage would the signal be weak or die?

I know tweaks & jailbreaking can kill battery faster, but I haven't added any new tweaks to my collection & it's going down 15% or more in a hour when it was at a good 8% or 9% a hour before.

I'm pretty sure it's not my provider, my sister has a non jailbroken iPhone 4s & it works perfectly, my signal is usually fine, it's more wifi...atleast I think it is since iMessage sends over data & that's where I have the most problems sending. I turn off my 3g(it's technically 3G anyway even though it says 4G) whenever I'm home using the wifi with ncsettings. I turn my wifi off sometimes when I leave. I lose the signal normally using iMessage or sometimes free music app from the AppStore or chrome. Sometimes the wifi is literally off even though the toggle is on & I'll have to slip it to turn it back on. If anything I would say its wifi that's broken. I don't understand what could make it so funky

The Wifi portion might be the iOS error. I've been having problems with Wifi toggles as well on my 5.1.1 4S. However, on my work iPhone 4, there was never this problem, also on 5.1.1 Absinthe jailbreak. I know for a fact that if you're on a Wifi network, and you exit the Wifi zone, your iPhone won't recognize any data networks for a brief moment. From my experience, I've had the same problem for about a week because my service provider was performing changes and transitioning their system.

I would suggest a restore and see if it helps, but the 5.1.1 window has closed so that wouldn't that productive a solution. You can try toggling Airplane Mode, that should temporarily fix the problem though you might have to do it every time.