What's new

iMessage problems, anyone else?

Thanks for the clarification! I just checked and the bubbles are green in both threads. I need to enlighten the other two :)

Even if they are green try to write something but don't send it,sometimes they turn blue after u tipe in first caracters ...

I am having problems with iMessage. When I try to iMessage my room mate invariably his messages do not get sent. It rarely happens when I iMessage other people though. Could it be that its because we are usually on the same wifi network? It's the only difference I can see between him and my other friends. It's ironic, no? This happens when we are both on the network (in the house) and also when we are NOT at home. Any clues, anybody? Simply because we ARE room mates and he is the only one I have this problem with it is BEYOND ANNOYING!! Thanks! Edd

I am having problems with iMessage. When I try to iMessage my room mate invariably his messages do not get sent. It rarely happens when I iMessage other people though. Could it be that its because we are usually on the same wifi network? It's the only difference I can see between him and my other friends. It's ironic, no? This happens when we are both on the network (in the house) and also when we are NOT at home. Any clues, anybody? Simply because we ARE room mates and he is the only one I have this problem with it is BEYOND ANNOYING!! Thanks! Edd

I'm confused. You start by writing "When I try to iMessage my room mate invariably his messages do not get sent." Does your roommate receive your iMessage? If so, is the caption/text bubble on his screen blue or green?

You continue writing "It rarely happens when I iMessage other people though." Can you please clarify what happens. Do others receive your iMessage? Or, are you indicating that others attempt to reply or send you an iMessage and neither get to you?

I believe that you answered the question about sharing the home wifi "This happens when we are both on the network (in the house) and also when we are NOT at home."

Mike

With the new 5.0.1 u have to turn on iMessage it's pretty stupid if u ask me coz y wouldn't I want to use a free messaging service?? Just go to ur settings scroll till you see Messages then it's pretty simple from there

I have iMessage set to on. Late last week, I sent and received about 50 text messages to other iPhone users. When I checked my Verizon account every text that I sent/received was charged against my monthly count of 250. I need to verify that the other people had iMessages set to on.

I received my bill a week ago and noticed that I had texting overages. This is the first bill since I downloaded iOS5 for my 4G iPhone. I was approaching my texting limit so I was checking MyVerizon about 3 times a day for the last 4 days of my billing cycle, just to make sure I didn't go over. I came within 10 texts of my 250 limit on the last day. I use Google Voice for texting, primarily, because I don't like being charged for data (text=data) when I have an unlimited data plan. I got my bill and was charged $9 for overages, representing the roughly 50 texts I sent using iMessage. Every time I sent an iMessage, I made sure it was "blue" and not "green."

I'm not surprised that they want to make money on texting, but undermining Apple is not smart.

I think that if you are texting the same person all the time, both of you should get the app called Whatsapp (Yes it costs money but it is worth it). That one not only lets you text (using data rather than your texting plan) It also lets you share video and other things. You can only use it with other people that are using the app, but it is still a way to get around the texting. Your friend could have an andoid phone too, it doesn't matter. (Just can't use it on a non-smartphone so people that don't have a smartphone will have to go the regular text path) There is also another app that you can use (I don't know what it is called) That lets you talk through your data plan rather than your voice plan. That one is also great for international calls.

I have seen intermittent issues with my imessages as well. Sometimes it does switch them to text messages. I'm not sure if its an issue due to the jailbreak or network issues with apple. I assume these messages go through a server (like BBM on blackberry). It has not yet got to that frustrating point but I have seen it. I love to use them because it works over wifi (I have ATT :() even when my cell signal is crappy (most of the time). Hopefully they can get it squared away.