What's new

iMac or Mac Book Pro

Go for the 17inch MBP, the screen is big enough for everything you will want to do, Photography, musics, videos, coding etc... Here the only difference existing in iMac and MBP in my opinion is the size of the display and the prices. Regarding the performance of the MBP you can boost it by adding more RAM and 1T of HDD if you wish.

Adding a bigger hard drive won't make the Macbook, or any computer, faster. Adding a 1TB hard drive only increases storage capacity. if you want to make any computer much faster, consider adding an SSD. I've heard that Intel and Crucial are the most reliable.

it also decreases the battery life dramatically but the 17" is perfect for screen size but its just a pain to carry around and imo is more of a desktop replacement then to travel with. i thought I was going to get the 15" but when I went to the store I chose portability over screen size when I saw them at the apple store I ended up liking the 13" more then the 15 and 17

The only problem is that SSD's are incredibly expensive. Just a basic 256GB SSD is about a $400 option.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Guys and Gals, what do you think about OS X Lion and the up coming OS X Mountain Lion? It's pretty much becoming like iOS from the looks of it? I guess that's a good thing though.

Unleashed said:
Then you have answered your own question :)

the 13 is amazing for portability and I have one also but you cant really multi task properly or have many apps open at the same time with out it really getting in the way but its light and very good for traveling and its not a brick..

battery on the new mbps are supposed to be about 7 hours so you would probably get around 5-6 out of them depending on what you do.. but gaming really drains the battery so it will last a few hours with heavy gaming..

imac the 27 inch all the way! :) bigger = better.

I would wait a little longer though as I think some new macs will be coming this year, maybe a re design

Good point! 👍

Edit: something I forgot to ask, how old is your current Vaio?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

A little over 2yrs.

Quicksilver7714 said:
The only problem is that SSD's are incredibly expensive. Just a basic 256GB SSD is about a $400 option.

Yeah, I think a decent Intel SSD costs over $300. Im using a regular HDD in my HP.

Well if the battery is good then. And it doesn't need to be replaced then get the iMac. If your looking to possibly replace the laptop, as I would assume it's your primary PC then get the MBP. OSX is a little different than Windows but I really like it. Also for most people Macs tend to last longer than their windows counterparts.

If you decide to go with the MBP I would get the 15" as it has dedicated graphics and more power. Just a personal opinion. The 13" PRO is an excellent basic laptop but it's more expensive than any windows counterpart. For word processing and every day tasks the 13" will suite your needs but if you want something more then go for the 15" PRO.

Thank you all for your suggestions, each one was very helpful! I have decided to use Unleashed suggestion and get the iMac, since my laptop is still in very good condition. Thanks again, and this thread the Mods know what to do.

I would love n iMac!!! I have an old Dell desktop right now!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.0.1 Update From NYC iPF.net