What's new

Icloud vs pc backups?

Dr.Gee

Reaction score
Am i correct in assuming that back ups to itunes contain all of the data on the device and icloud backups dont include game data,etc.?

Can you do complete restore from icloud backups?

i think you can't because apple choose what file that you can backup on icloud
CMIIW

Am i correct in assuming that back ups to itunes contain all of the data on the device and icloud backups dont include game data,etc.?

Can you do complete restore from icloud backups?
Yes you can do a full complete backup of your iPhone on iCloud, the thing is that iCloud give you 5gb for free and if iCloud should backup your games and game files, and photos etc... the 5gb will not be enough so the backup will not be done. You have the option however to buy more spaces in iCloud and perform your full iPhone backup over iCloud just the same as iTunes.

Yes you can do a full complete backup of your iPhone on iCloud, the thing is that iCloud give you 5gb for free and if iCloud should backup your games and game files, and photos etc... the 5gb will not be enough so the backup will not be done. You have the option however to buy more spaces in iCloud and perform your full iPhone backup over iCloud just the same as iTunes.
I keep my iCloud backups very simple. Any idea how much the extra storage costs, bab?

Found it... a little pricy!
attachment.php

Attachments

• $untitled.JPG
    $untitled.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 864
yeah, now you have 5gb form Apple for free, if you buy 10gb you will have a total of 15gb and so on...
10gb= $20/year
20gb= $40/year
50gb= $100/year

you will have to renew the contract ever year otherwise your iCloud space will be resize to 5gb after a year of contract, you will however receive several notification prior Apple reseting your iCloud space.

I have 25 gb of data on my device.it never gives me notice I need more storage space when I backup to iCloud.states I have 4.7 of 5 gb free.

I have 25 gb of data on my device.it never gives me notice I need more storage space when I backup to iCloud.states I have 4.7 of 5 gb free.

If you still have 4.7gb out of 5gb it means that you have not turned on iCloud backup and you have never actually performed a backup.
Go to settings> iCloud> storage & backup > iCloud backup ON> backup now/
You need to have a wifi connection enable on your iPhone in order for it to perform the backup over iCloud. If you are sure to have 25gb of data on your iPhone then the backup will return you a notification stating that you do not have enough space on iCloud to finish the backup process and propose to you to buy more spaces. It will how ever back 5gb of your file with the mention "incomplete" near your backup file in iCloud.

Your apps, music and movies don't count toward the 5gb limit, only the saved content within the apps along with pictures and your overall settings. I have 3.3 gb left of storage in iCloud and my 16gb iPhone 4s is maxed out. I just did a restore yesterday form iCloud due to me un-jailbreaking my phone and everything was restored to just like it was before I restored.

Your apps, music and movies don't count toward the 5gb limit, only the saved content within the apps along with pictures and your overall settings. I have 3.3 gb left of storage in iCloud and my 16gb iPhone 4s is maxed out. I just did a restore yesterday form iCloud due to me un-jailbreaking my phone and everything was restored to just like it was before I restored.
Yeah it's certain that music and movies are not part of the backup process, this is not only limited to iCloud backup but even to your computer backup process. I see you do not have a lot of files apps pictures on your iPhone so iCloud could store your backup fine. My backup file is way above 5gb so iCloud backup is definitely not an option for me.

If you still have 4.7gb out of 5gb it means that you have not turned on iCloud backup and you have never actually performed a backup.
Go to settings> iCloud> storage & backup > iCloud backup ON> backup now/
You need to have a wifi connection enable on your iPhone in order for it to perform the backup over iCloud. If you are sure to have 25gb of data on your iPhone then the backup will return you a notification stating that you do not have enough space on iCloud to finish the backup process and propose to you to buy more spaces. It will how ever back 5gb of your file with the mention "incomplete" near your backup file in iCloud.

It is on,I've run it manually and. I get confirmation time of last backup.

It is on,I've run it manually and. I get confirmation time of last backup.
meaning that your backup files is 300mb of size? That's good, i wish i could have such a small size of documents in my iPhone, but actually my backup is about 10gb :( Computer is my only available option as i do not want to purchase spaces on iCloud. And backing up or restoring 10gb of files to from iPhone to iCloud and from iCloud to iPhone... I prefer using cable on my computer. It's good you are enjoying very well your iCloud space :)

It's good only if I have what I need when I restore.seems to me the old fashioned pc backup provides more.as much as I would like to eliminate iTunes from my pc/life,it seems to have its uses.

I would have said iCloud backups over pc and I do use iCloud backups myself.

However with a iCloud backup your data is stored on remote servers which is out of your control as far as things going wwrong, which is Exactly what happened to me.

I had to do a restore from my icloud backup in feb and it restored everything perfectly apart from the photos, it only restore my pics upto about November. So I lost all my pics from nov onwards. I know for a fact that my iCloud backup contained the whole cam roll because when I checked the size of the iCloud backup just the cam roll part of it was over 11gb (I get 25gb free as I had paid for mobile me).

So from now on whilst I use iCloud backups on daily basis I always do a pc backup once a month just for the pictures.

Whilst I'm on this subject has anyone had this problem before?