What's new

Icloud vs pc backups?

5GB is plenty to store store entire iPhone backups. You do not need to but storage to keep entire iPhone backups. I mean if you have like more than a few backups you will need more storage, but 5GB is actually a lot of space believ it or not. Like a lot. It really is.

5GB is plenty to store store entire iPhone backups. You do not need to but storage to keep entire iPhone backups. I mean if you have like more than a few backups you will need more storage, but 5GB is actually a lot of space believ it or not. Like a lot. It really is.

honestly disagree with this becuase over a short period of time just my cam roll was 11.7gb!

when you consider especially with 4s its HD, even a 5m clip could be 4-500mb. if you go on holiday or just generally over time take a lot of videos and pics with ur iphone then you could have 4-5gb just in your cam roll in no time.

of course a solution is to remove the stuff onto your computer to reduce your cam roll but i think this completly defeats the object in most cases, as you WANT to have the pics and videos on there all the time so you can see them/show them to people.

it also defeats the object of having one of the larger iphones 32/64gb, if you have to remove things just to reduce the size of your backups.

PS - im not in anyway complaining at what apple give, i think as far as free storage goes 5gb is plenty but forgetting about cost just simply in terms of whether 5gb is enough i honestly dont think it is espically after 6-12months when you would have filled your iphone with a lot more pics and videos in the cam roll.

and im not the only one who has a large cam roll i work in a business where i see customers phones and i see plenty of people with 3/4gb+ in cam roll.

Arsenal1607 said:
honestly disagree with this becuase over a short period of time just my cam roll was 11.7gb!

when you consider especially with 4s its HD, even a 5m clip could be 4-500mb. if you go on holiday or just generally over time take a lot of videos and pics with ur iphone then you could have 4-5gb just in your cam roll in no time.

of course a solution is to remove the stuff onto your computer to reduce your cam roll but i think this completly defeats the object in most cases, as you WANT to have the pics and videos on there all the time so you can see them/show them to people.

it also defeats the object of having one of the larger iphones 32/64gb, if you have to remove things just to reduce the size of your backups.

PS - im not in anyway complaining at what apple give, i think as far as free storage goes 5gb is plenty but forgetting about cost just simply in terms of whether 5gb is enough i honestly dont think it is espically after 6-12months when you would have filled your iphone with a lot more pics and videos in the cam roll.

and im not the only one who has a large cam roll i work in a business where i see customers phones and i see plenty of people with 3/4gb+ in cam roll.

I too have a very very large amount of pictures....but to keep them on my phone where they are backed is just too much.

I agree with you about the pictures thing. But the solution is simple. Don't use you iPhones native photos app to store all of them. I mean...that would make restoring to that backup take forever.

I have probably 3GB of photos, but I don't trust iCloud to back them up.

Use DropBox, or SugarSync, or SkyDrive...or like me...use all of them.

I always have all my picture easily accessible at all times on my iPhone, but I don't keep them all in my camera roll..just the ones I want there.

So instead of having your camera roll take your entire 5GB of iCloud space, upload them to one of the apps Mentioned and delete them all before backing up. That way all your photos aren't hogging all your space, but yet are still completely accessible through your iPhone.

I too have a very very large amount of pictures....but to keep them on my phone where they are backed is just too much.

I agree with you about the pictures thing. But the solution is simple. Don't use you iPhones native photos app to store all of them. I mean...that would make restoring to that backup take forever.

I have probably 3GB of photos, but I don't trust iCloud to back them up.

Use DropBox, or SugarSync, or SkyDrive...or like me...use all of them.

I always have all my picture easily accessible at all times on my iPhone, but I don't keep them all in my camera roll..just the ones I want there.

So instead of having your camera roll take your entire 5GB of iCloud space, upload them to one of the apps Mentioned and delete them all before backing up. That way all your photos aren't hogging all your space, but yet are still completely accessible through your iPhone.

I think the only reason why I haven't bothered with this so far is because I got icloud 25gb free rather then the 5gb as I was a mobile me customer so I've always had enough space for storage.

The time it takes to back up also doesn't bother me because it's done at 2-3am when your sleeping.

But when my free 25gb runs out in June and goes back to 5gb I'll have to consider deleting thigs from
My roll.

But as far as the security side of things go yes I definetly make alternative back ups now rather then leaving it all to the iCloud as I've found out to my detriment that it can go wrong.