What's new

Confused about Icloud

60nslow

1: If I backup my Iphone to Icloud should I still do a backup to Itunes on my PC?
2: If I have an Icloud backup and I loose my computer hard drive and cannot restore any files, should I still install Itunes on the PC after re-installing Windows?
3: Is Icloud meant to replace Itunes?

these are all good questions, as icloud is still kind of a iMystery. I have been looking for a more indepth explanation/tutorial on how and what it exactly does, and why. The apple.com explanations are rather vague and general in nature. Almost like it is top secret. lol.

1) Yes. iCloud requires an internet connection to restore your phone. If you are without one, an iTunes backup would allow you to recover.

2) Yes. iTunes has more features then just being used to sync you phone.

3) No. iCloud is to augment iTunes if you are used to using it. It is also meant as a stop gap for people that don't own a PC but still need some form of backup.

Rather than start a whole new thread, hopefully i can tag along here. I am confused about creating icloud accounts. More specifically, because I used to have a mobile me account with its own username/password. Then I created another icloud account for my wifes phone. and then i somehow ended up with another icloud account for my 4s (which i currently use and has my contacts in it). So basically I am trying to understand how they link, and which account I should keep, and which account to delete, if i can even delete it. And how do each of these icloud accounts interact with my itunes account.

When I back up the Iphone to Itunes using WIFI sync, then do a backup to Icloud, do I leave both backup boxes (wifi and cloud) checked in Itunes?

When I back up the Iphone to Itunes using WIFI sync, then do a backup to Icloud, do I leave both backup boxes (wifi and cloud) checked in Itunes?

No clue. I have never tried that exact combo. But my assumption would be, yes.

if i back up my data to icloud,can i erase the itunes data from my laptop to free up space? i have over 1000 songs on itunes and it is using alot of my laptop space/memory i believe.

if i back up my data to icloud,can i erase the itunes data from my laptop to free up space? i have over 1000 songs on itunes and it is using alot of my laptop space/memory i believe.

No, you should NEVER do that.

My advice is backup to computer which is what i do, so occasionally at least if using iCloud taking warning what happened to BB!s frasco.

Afaik unless bought through iTunes store, ripped music and films is not backed up.

You have to buy a app to do this and likely more space in icloud.

I too am confused. I want to use the cloud to back up whatever I choose. SMS, docs, music from anywhere, etc. I don't understand how it backs up nor how I tell it WHAT to backup. I just know my phone can NOT back up anymore, and the cloud still has 4.5 gigs left out of 5. I want to save ANY data I choose to the cloud, and erase the data on the phone.

I am told that the cloud will sync and whatever I delete on phone will be deleted on the cloud.

How do I accomplish this? Can anyone help?

Thanks.

iCloud backs up your phone automatically every night. You can see this by going into iCloud and manage data. I think iCloud is there for people that don't sync up to iTunes every minute of the day. So should something happen to your phone you should in principle be able to restore it from the previous nights auto backup.

As to what it restores is your option. It is set to restore everything, but personally I've knocked it all off barring contacts and photographs. Everything else I can get back myself.

iHolophyte

. I want to save ANY data I choose to the cloud, and erase the data on the phone.

I am told that the cloud will sync and whatever I delete on phone will be deleted on the cloud.

How do I accomplish this? Can anyone help?

Thanks.

iCloud isn't an online storage. Its simply a micror of whats on your phone. Delete from your phone and it deletes from the cloud. MobileMe was somewhat different. It had actual online storage. What apple has done is took a halfway decent thing like MobileMe and turned it into something near useless for free.

speed4tu said:
iCloud isn't an online storage. Its simply a micror of whats on your phone. Delete from your phone and it deletes from the cloud. MobileMe was somewhat different. It had actual online storage. What apple has done is took a halfway decent thing like MobileMe and turned it into something near useless for free.

Sounds like what I was thinking. My iPhone has used 468mb of storage according to the phone, but says it's not backed up in 20 days because of a storage issue. And the cloud has 4.5gb free.

I have no clue as to how to use this stuff.