What's new

iCloud Drive questions

DaveM

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting my head around iCloud Drive, and the difference between it and iCloud. I've read the Apple information and FAQs, but am still confused. If an iPhone or iPad is filled with photos can they be moved to iCloud drive, freeing up space on those devices? It seems like iCloud is mostly for syncing between devices, so if you delete something in iCloud it's deleted from your device too. But does iCloud Drive also sync? I'd like to find someone or something who can explain these two services in plain language.

The photos are synced to iCloud, not to iCloud Drive. No idea if it would be possibe to get them to iCloud Drive.

Like iCloud, iCloud Drive syncs between devices. Changes you make on one device will automatically be synced to your other devices connected to iCloud Drive. This means also, if you remove something from one app that's syncing to iCloud Drive, this will also disappear from iCloud Drive and your other devices.

If you wish to remove your images from your iPhone and free up storage, do not use iCloud or iCloud Drive. If you prefer online storage, there are many cloud services where you get this for free. Better use one of these.

Last edited: