What's new

Google Drive question

Thanks for sticking with me on this J.A. So if I only install the GooglePhotos app I can manage the photos manually in Google Drive, without even having to install the Google Drive app?

If you only install the GooglePhotos app, you can manage them in that app, and also load them to Google Drive. The images in GooglePhotos are not automatically in Drive. You can export them to the Drive app, though, which isn't necessary, imo.

This might sound confusing, that's what it looks like in my apps. The images from Google Drive can also be displayed in GooglePhotos (a setting in the app).
Google Drive, on the other hand, doesn't show the images from GooglePhotos by default. You'll have to search for them (literally).
Both apps are connected to each other, somehow, but each has it's own purpose.

PBI - How much are photos compressed when importing them from iphone to Google Photos? It doesn't preserve the original image file, does it? Also, wondering how much (if any) quality is lost to an image when downloading a saved image to Google Photos (imported from an iphone) to my computer (a macbook)? Thanks and sorry for interrupting this helpful thread!

Sent via Tapatalk - Please excuse any mobile-induced typos. Thanks.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, Skadii!

Some time ago, I chose High Quality in Upload Size (visible in one of my screenshots above). For comparison:
One of my images in the Photos app
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455953759.902097.jpg

And in GooglePhotos
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455953784.891946.jpg

The screenshots were taken on my iPad, but the information is the same on my iPhone.
I hope this will answer the first part of your question.

I haven't tried importing an image to my MacBook yet, so I can't tell you about the size of the photo.
Maybe someone else knows the answer, otherwise I'll get back to you, as soon as I've tried it.

Last edited:
PBI - How much are photos compressed when importing them from iphone to Google Photos? It doesn't preserve the original image file, does it? Also, wondering how much (if any) quality is lost to an image when downloading a saved image to Google Photos (imported from an iphone) to my computer (a macbook)? Thanks and sorry for interrupting this helpful thread!
Just to add to what J.A. said, the app does give you the option to upload in "High Quality" or "Original Quality". If you choose High Quality it doesn't count toward your 15GB of free storage space in Google Drive. You can upload as many photos as you want. Original Quality does count toward your 15GB. As to the actual quality difference I'm unable to answer that question.