What's new

i0n1c discovers 5.1 jailbreak exploit and successfully jailbreaks iPad2

FYI developers are allowed to load custom ipsw's so anyone with a developer account can jailbreak any iOS version & device tethered.

This is not true at all. I am a developer and I assure you that there is no way to jailbreak 5.1 on an A5 device.

Also, the exploits used in the 5.0/5.0.1 jailbreak found by pod2g and developed by the 'dream team' are still usable in 5.1, that's why there's an A4 tethered jailbreak available still. The only the thing that's changed is IOS 5.1 has blocked the untether injection method that was used.

Again, not true, there is no jailbreak whatsoever for A5 devices on 5.1. The pictures i0n1c posted are from an iPad2, so there's no way he jailbroke his using the tools which are currently available. The tethered exploit you are referring to only works on A4 and lower devices since it requires a bootrom exploit that is non-existant on A5 devices.

While I don't jailbreak or follow the "scene", I believe the rough example would be:

Bootrom: A hole in the hardware and initial boot sequence of the phone. This means a new version of the hardware would have to be created to close the hole.

Userland: A hole in iOS itself. This can be patched by Apple at any time.

*EDIT* Figures I would be 45 seconds late to the game.... LOL

Last edited:
Jmills87 said:
This is not true at all. I am a developer and I assure you that there is no way to jailbreak 5.1 on an A5 device.

Again, not true, there is no jailbreak whatsoever for A5 devices on 5.1. The pictures i0n1c posted are from an iPad2, so there's no way he jailbroke his using the tools which are currently available. The tethered exploit you are referring to only works on A4 and lower devices since it requires a bootrom exploit that is non-existant on A5 devices.

I'm sorry, I guess you don't understand what I meant. There is currently no way/software to jailbreak iOS 5.1, you are correct. However the same userland exploits to jailbreak 5.0.1, are still exploitable in 5.1. Members of the jailbreaking community have tweeted about how the same kernel dumps used in absinthe will work with 5.1. It's a matter of time until they work out the bugs to get a tethered A5 jailbreak working. However the injection methods of the untether have been patched so a new boot-level exploit will have to be found in order for an untethered jailbreak on any iOS device.

The tethered 5.1 A4 jailbreak uses the exact same 'userland' exploits used in the 5.0.1 jailbreak.

As far as a developer being able to jailbreak an A5 5.1 device, I'm not completely sure. I know in the past developers have been able to create custom ipsw's with bigger root partitions and access to the root and have been able to install already jailbroken firmware

Good info in here. My 4s is jailbroken but I never understood how it actually works. This gives me a better idea of how it actually works. Thank you Jmills.

I need to learn how to save SHSH blobs, now that I have 5.1 and have to wait for the 5.1 jailbreak; how easy is it; thanks!

LoveRhyme said:
I need to learn how to save SHSH blobs, now that I have 5.1 and have to wait for the 5.1 jailbreak; how easy is it; thanks!

It's soooo easy.

Download Tiny Brella, open in it, plug in phone.....click the "Save SHSH" button. Done.

If you have an iPhone 4,...use TU and redsn0w.