What's new

I want to use icloud for location sharing only, no shared purchases, photos etc..

Glenstr

Reaction score
We are a family of four with iphones and ipads. Phones are all iphone 6, ipad versions vary.

I set my wife and two girls up on my icloud, so we can all see where one another is at any given time. That is all I want to be able to do. I don't want to share purchases, share photos or share anything, just locations with find my iphone app.

Here are my issues:

I turned off ask to buy in my settings-icloud-family for my 18 year old daughter, so she would not get prompted all the time, and also the way I understand it she should still be able to use her iTunes cards / money for purchases.

She can't. Every time she tries to buy a song or something she gets a popup saying payment verification is needed from me. I checked, I still have ask to buy turned off for her.

Why is she getting this? Apparently it just started, she was able to make purchases before, but even then my CC got charged and she was not able to use her iTunes money.

Another issue - my 16 year old daughter is showing up as an adult for some reason, but I think perhaps this has something to do with how her icloud account is set up.

thanks in advance.

Prior to attempting a purchase, can the 18 yr old add her iTunes gift cards to Wallet and the App Store on her iPhone? This might help.

Maybe your daughter's birthday date is not right for her Apple ID.
To correct or view it, she should sign in here:
https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin
and make sure it's right.

If your 18 year old daughter has gift or store credit, this will be used to pay, until there's nothing left. If there's no credit left on her account, then it will be billed to your account. That's the way it should work.

thanks for the replies

I'll get her to try adding her gift card to her wallet / app store on her phone. See if that works.

On the phone with apple support now, they said that anyone over 13 will show up as an adult (makes no sense to me) so I asked why there's an 18 beside my other daughters name. They don't know and are looking into it. Also the 16 year old I have no ask to purchase option in my settings-icloud-family - which is odd..

They also don't know why 18 yo is being prompted with message that I have to enter a code.

still on hold with apple support..