What's new

I think my iPhone 3gs is bricked...Help!

smockpuv

Reaction score
My little brother had an iPhone 3gs that I unlocked and jailbroke for him I believe using redsnow. I remember having to do something with the baseband but I don't remember which baseband it has or anything. He recently tried to sell the phone so he thought he would connect it to itunes and restore it to wipe everything. Well he must have tried to restore it to ios 5 and now the phone can't get past the connect to itunes screen. Anything I can do to fix this?

Thank you

Most likely what you originally did, when unlocking, was install the 6.15.00 iPad Baseband. Once this is used... you can no longer restore w/ a stock IPSW (hitting "Restore" in iTunes.) So, it'll need to be restored using a custom IPSW created by either redsn0w or sn0wbreeze. Unfortunately, once the iPad Baseband is installed... there's no way to update using a stock IPSW file. However, the latest version of redsn0w does allow iPad Baseband users on the 3GS to downgrade their Baseband to 5.13.04. Check this out for that process... http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-unlocking-69/downgrading-3g-3gs-baseband-05-13-04-a-42452/.

Most likely what you originally did, when unlocking, was install the 6.15.00 iPad Baseband. Once this is used... you can no longer restore w/ a stock IPSW (hitting "Restore" in iTunes.) So, it'll need to be restored using a custom IPSW created by either redsn0w or sn0wbreeze. Unfortunately, once the iPad Baseband is installed... there's no way to update using a stock IPSW file. However, the latest version of redsn0w does allow iPad Baseband users on the 3GS to downgrade their Baseband to 5.13.04. Check this out for that process... http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-unlocking-69/downgrading-3g-3gs-baseband-05-13-04-a-42452/.

Okay, so is there a step by step guide that will help me with this process? I downloaded redsnow but am not quite sure what to do from there.

Thanks

smockpuv said:
Okay, so is there a step by step guide that will help me with this process? I downloaded redsnow but am not quite sure what to do from there.

Thanks

Let me see what I can track down. If not, hopefully another one of our members or staff will get you directed in the mean time.