What's new

I think I have been scammed :-(

Fiona72

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this site and am hoping someone out there can put my mind at ease or at the very least, tell me what I should do. I dropped my iphone 4S a couple of weeks ago and smashed the screen (as has half the population!). It was out of warranty so I took the cheapest option in getting it repaired and went to the local market. The lady who served me asked me to sign a waiver form in case any data was lost during the repair, and the phone pin number was also requested as part of that form. I stupidly provided it, thinking they probably needed it to reactivate the phone after the screen was replaced.

Anyway, a man started to replace the screen and once completed, he turned it on and went in to my settings screen. He then pulled out his phone own and started tapping away between the two phones. I assumed he probably had to get a code from his phone to reactivate mine. Anyway, I am the first to admit I am the most naive and gullible person to ever walk the earth but now I am terrified about what he was doing with my phone. Neither he nor the woman spoke any english so communication between us consisted of pointing and grunting. I have asked several people who have also had screens replaced if this was the procedure for them and surprise, surprise, no it wasn't. My sister gave me the phone number of the guy she regularly uses for that kind of thing and I called him and explained what happened. He said the only time he would need a pin was if he was replacing speakers (for example) and needed to test them. He said he would have absolutely no reason to go into the settings option. Can anyone please tell me what my repair guy may have been doing and what I may be in danger of him obtaining? When I received my phone back, it was in the WIFI screen and his network was selected. All my banking etc on the phone requires passwords to use, is there anything else I should be worried about? Any help here would be greatly appreciated - I have already had several sleepless nights over this and my husband is ropeable that I am so gullible :-(

Thank you so much!!!

I'm not sure if the repair man needed your code but the first thing you should do is change your pin and your passwords,if you are still worried phone your bank and anyone else you may be concerned about and get more advice from them,hope that helps.