What's new

i think i have a worm.

iphoneis_uckedup

Reaction score
Worm, trojan, virus, malware, something... So I have a really troubling issue with my phone. I am about to post in the iphone hacks forum, since my phone is jailbroken, but i took screenshots and I need three posts to be able to share them. This is the third.

If you're savvy with these kinds of things, willing to help a stranger, and ponder an interesting issue, please go check out the post. Thanks.

:(

EDIT: In fact, I'm so freaked out, I'm just going to repeat the whole post here to maximize visibility. Apologies if this is not okay, feel free to delete.

Hey guys. This is my first post around here - I'm really hoping you can help me out - I haven't been able to find any information pertaining to this probably and I'm really nervous about it.

So, about an hour ago I sent a text to a friend. Here's a screenshot:

example2c.jpg

As you can see, my friend responds with, "Wait what?" She's confused. Well, here's what she got:

examplejc.jpg

In case it isn't obvious, somewhere in between me sending her "though my friends who went said it was really fun" and her receiving it, it was changed to the REALLY fucking eerie "gun from her and shot her in the head".

What. The. Heck.

How can this happen? We're both pretty freaked out. Has anyone ever heard of this particular issue? And is it possible to guess whether the issue stems from my phone, or hers? Can anyone speculate on what might cause this (virus, worm, something else...)? And most importantly, what steps might be best to take to get rid of it...I don't even know if I should plug my phone into my computer now in case the information on it isn't safe or something.

If you took the time to read this, thank you. And thank you even more if you respond. I really want to get this resolved.

One more thing - there are no other issues so far, from what I've seen, save one. For a period of about three days, between myself and this same other person, we randomly would not get each others texts, and neither of us seemed to have that issue with other people. It seemed like it just stopped so we figured it was a weird service issue or bug.

Anyway. Hope you hear from someone soon. Happy Halloween, guys. -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
I would call and see if your carrier could reset your mms on the network side I don't think it had anything to do with the phone or the data on it.

This is slightly comforting - what makes you think it has nothing to do with the phones? How else could that sort of thing happen? It's so weird.

Also, I'm not sure how having the mms service reset would help, as it is an sms issue. Did you mean sms?

Last edited:
This is slightly comforting - what makes you think it has nothing to do with the phones? How else could that sort of thing happen? It's so weird.

Also, I'm not sure how having the mms service reset would help, as it is an sms issue. Did you mean sms?

Yes, SMS. I'm not sure exactly what they reset or refresh. I just know that's what fixed mine when I had issues with lost messages or ones that took forever to receive. I'm pretty sure it's a network issue that's garbling your message with someone else's....

what add ons do you have to your phone? try to send sms without a jailbroken phone and see if it was just due to an add-on, is this the only time it has happened?

Danny, I see what you're saying now. I hope you're right about that, I'll definitely try it. The fact that the message is so darn creepy makes it hard for me to just accept that it was an at-random garbling of messages, you know?

what add ons do you have to your phone? try to send sms without a jailbroken phone and see if it was just due to an add-on, is this the only time it has happened?

By add ons, do you mean apps? I have a ton, too many to name. But neither of us have downloaded anything new for a couple weeks. And as far as we know, this is the only time this has happened. All other text messages have been normal.

by add-ons i meant like overlays because i noticed your text messages are purple and white bubbles rather than the green and white or whatever it is, but thats weird that it only changed once, you can try to do a full on reset if you want to be safe i guess

That's strange - I had a issue with my wife - I was unable to answer her phone calls or receive her texts - obviously nothing as weird as that but I had her in my favorites. I ended up deleting her off my phone completely and putting her back on and fixed the problem. You, my friend, have got a WIERD problem. Good luck figuring it out.

sounds like auto correct at work here, when you press space it changes the word to that for you and you dont notice..

sounds like auto correct at work here, when you press space it changes the word to that for you and you dont notice..

but if it was auto correct, would the text be the same on both phones? because on her phone the screenshot of the text is totally different from her friends

Perhaps you have discovered a tiny glitch in the auto-correcting system. I mean perhaps your Iphone was correcting the words, but that the correction did not show up on your Iphone?
I would have tried going to Settings>General>Keyboard and uncheck auto correction nd spelling control. Then I would send the same message again and see if the problem persists. If the problem is still there, I would have done a full restore on the Iphone.

Perhaps you have discovered a tiny glitch in the auto-correcting system. I mean perhaps your Iphone was correcting the words, but that the correction did not show up on your Iphone?
I would have tried going to Settings>General>Keyboard and uncheck auto correction nd spelling control. Then I would send the same message again and see if the problem persists. If the problem is still there, I would have done a full restore on the Iphone.

but even so a tiny glitch with auto correction, if you look at the part of the sentence that has changed, it actually makes sense, the chances of that happening with those words that were used are HIGHLY unlikely