What's new

I converted to an iPhone...

Chief_Airborne

Reaction score
...after using an Android based phone for 8 years. I can figure out most things, but this one is kinda bugging me....can't figure it out as of yet. Please help:

So, I am a GMAIL user (don't plan on leaving it) and started off using the GMAIL app. I noticed that the sound I assigned to email (in settings) was not being used by the GMAIL app. I played and played and couldn't figure out how to change it, so I set up Apple's email app to pull my email...works great EXCEPT that quickest I can have my email come in is every 15 mins...don't like that either.

SO, is there a way I can assign a specific sound to my GMAIL app?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Chief

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Chief_Airborne!

It's not possible to set up a custom sound for notifications for the Gmail app. Sorry!

If you have an iCloud or Outlook account as well, it's possible to forward your Gmail emails to that account. Data/emails will be pushed to your iPhone as soon as possible.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Chief_Airborne!

It's not possible to set up a custom sound for notifications for the Gmail app. Sorry!

If you have an iCloud or Outlook account as well, it's possible to forward your Gmail emails to that account. Data/emails will be pushed to your iPhone as soon as possible.

Well, that sucks. LOL Thank you for the response!!

Tim

Well, that sucks. LOL Thank you for the response!!

Tim
While you may not get the custom ringtone you want for your email, you can look in settings and assign it a different tone than you see, there are a lot of Apple tones in Sounds, under settings.

Now someone explain to me why autocorrect decided u deer was what I really wanted instead of the word under

No, you can't. That was the point of my post in the first place... You can not change the notification sounds for the Gmail app at all.

No, you can't. That was the point of my post in the first place... You can not change the notification sounds for the Gmail app at all.
Hmmm, Gmail seems to imply otherwise in their instructions:
Step 1: Choose what kind of notifications to get
If you have multiple accounts in the Gmail app, you need to change this setting for each account.

1. Open the Gmail app
    7xPf0EOsVTZmbxoawEfSXelswwqs9sMNbeP6
  2. In the top left, tap Menu
    gnm-ty6mnE6vkedDflD8UzuuSYpoeaGMx1Am3m0zH0OkEAkqv3jGJV3cnjkqH75mrrqn=w18-h18
  3. Scroll to the bottom, then tap Settings.
  4. Tap your account.
  5. In the "Notifications" section, select which types of emails you want notifications for, such as All New Mail or None.
Step 2: Pick your notification settings on your device

1. Go to your device's Settings app.
  2. Tap Notifications
    nHFGZ_9xjCh-mP83zMzXQVJF5VYf2n6kwoBIxB2zv3V4VPT4gNTtBye8lYznogLqLPY=w13-h18
    Gmail.
  3. Choose your notification settings, including sounds.
But I bow to your experience with the account.

Bear,
I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you...lol You are absolutely correct in everything you posted, but let's go to Step 2...you have the option of turning the sound "on" or "off". There is no option to change the type of sound. You know, like a beep or a honk or a whatever. That's what I was referring to in my original post. J.A. already posted that there is no way too change the sound, but if you know another way, I bow to you.

Chief

Hi Chief, and welcome. Yes, there are some things that will be annoying, but in the main you are going to find that the iPhone is one hell of a good device. Looking back on the earlier models, they can seem quite ordinary now and the 7 is not a bad point at which to discover them for the first time.

You'll probably find that the lack of a central file structure will be frustrating, but give it time and ask as many questions here as you want and between us, we will likely come up with an answer. Some of the answers might feel like a workaround, but they'll probably just be the way it is in iOS.

I tend to use the Mail app for Gmail and a few other accounts and don't have the gMail app, but I think that what you have run into is the Apple sandbox. Apps cannot influence each other or the OS, and unless there is a routine available to developers, that part of iOS cannot be manipulated by them.

Hi Chief, and welcome. Yes, there are some things that will be annoying, but in the main you are going to find that the iPhone is one hell of a good device. Looking back on the earlier models, they can seem quite ordinary now and the 7 is not a bad point at which to discover them for the first time.

You'll probably find that the lack of a central file structure will be frustrating, but give it time and ask as many questions here as you want and between us, we will likely come up with an answer. Some of the answers might feel like a workaround, but they'll probably just be the way it is in iOS.

I tend to use the Mail app for Gmail and a few other accounts and don't have the gMail app, but I think that what you have run into is the Apple sandbox. Apps cannot influence each other or the OS, and unless there is a routine available to developers, that part of iOS cannot be manipulated by them.

Thank you, Kevin. Appreciate it.

...after using an Android based phone for 8 years. I can figure out most things, but this one is kinda bugging me....can't figure it out as of yet. Please help:

So, I am a GMAIL user (don't plan on leaving it) and started off using the GMAIL app. I noticed that the sound I assigned to email (in settings) was not being used by the GMAIL app. I played and played and couldn't figure out how to change it, so I set up Apple's email app to pull my email...works great EXCEPT that quickest I can have my email come in is every 15 mins...don't like that either.

SO, is there a way I can assign a specific sound to my GMAIL app?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Chief

As to the frequency that you get your mail, go to settings, mail, accounts,and at the bottom you will see "fetch new data" set this to "push" so the server can fetch your mail as soon as possible, or any setting you deem appropriate

As to the frequency that you get your mail, go to settings, mail, accounts,and at the bottom you will see "fetch new data" set this to "push" so the server can fetch your mail as soon as possible, or any setting you deem appropriate
Push is not possible for Gmail accounts.

I have a brand new iPhone 7 plus and it works great I have been an android user since the summer of 2011 still use it but the iPhone has caught my attention with the camera set up I have a lg v20 for My android phone