What's new

Email Notifications

HollaMV7

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just picked up an iPhone 7 (my first iPhone ever always had a Droid) and am having some trouble getting email notifications. I am getting notifications for texts and other apps but for some reason emails are not coming through. I'm using the normal iPhone Mail app and have set up my two gmail accounts with it. I also went into my mail notification settings and verified that notifications are turned on. I have realized that when I click on the mail app it then refreshes and shows me new email but it only does this when I click the app and not when I'm not using my phone. Anyone know a way to fix this? I would like to be notified each time I get a new email instead of having to go to the mail app and refreshing. Thanks.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

What is enabled for your accounts in Settings - Mail - Fetch New Data?
If possible, enable Push. Go to each Gmail account, and change it to Fetch, if Manual is checkmarked. Also, make sure you didn't select Manually in Fetch (at the bottom), but a different schedule.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

What is enabled for your accounts in Settings - Mail - Fetch New Data?
If possible, enable Push. Go to each Gmail account, and change it to Fetch, if Manual is checkmarked. Also, make sure you didn't select Manually in Fetch (at the bottom), but a different schedule.

Hope that helps.
Hey thanks. It says Push is on and fetch is set to manually. Is that the problem?

Hey thanks. It says Push is on and fetch is set to manually. Is that the problem?

GMail needs to be fetched. You need to set a time interval. The notification should then work.

That's correct, 15 minutes is the fastest.
Manually is the problem. If you fetch manually, you'll see the behaviour you've been experiencing.

It's surprise Gmail isn't support push yet. In fact, I didn't notice this in Blackberry devices but it seems gmail is problematic for iphone, I suppose.

I am using gmail on the iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2
and the system appears to work fine.
iOS 10

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.
Sorry l was checking notifications

I'm using Gmail on iPad, and iPhone. It's absolutely not problematic for iPhone. It works and syncs without any problems.