What's new

How to upgrade a jialbroken and unlocked iphone3gs currently running on 4.1 (8B117)?

vtsnair

Reaction score
I am using a unlocked jailbroken (cydia) iphone 3gs. Since it's iOS is obsolete i am unable to use and update many applications .So i would like to upgrade its ios into a latest version.I am seeking your help to know easiest techniques
that could help me to upgrade ios with out much risk(am not a very techy guy)

Pls provide me all necessary details (including video links)
Modem Firmware 06.15.00
Model MC135LL

Thanks in advance

All you need is to download the iOS 6 IPSW from the sticky here for your 3GS

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-22984/

Then put your device into DFU mode by following the instructions here

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/

Then follow the first link and the text below to get rid of any 3194 errors.

Fix iTunes Error 3194 When Restoring / Updating To Stock or Custom 4.3.3 Firmware | Redmond Pie
Go to C:\Windows\System 32\drivers\etc\
Delete host.umbrella
Edit your host file by right clicking, then open or open with. Then use notepad. Delete ANY lines with gs.apple.com in them. Then save.

In iTunes, shift + click restore on iTunes, then point it to the IPSW downloaded. Wait for your device to be restored to iOS 6.

Download RedSn0w, run it as administrator, then go to Extras > Select IPSW. Again, select the IPSW you downloaded for iOS 6 for your 3GS. Then go back to the starting page, and press Jailbreak. Put your iPhone into DFU on your own or follow the on-screen instructions that will guide you with the counting and actions and all. Make sure you tick "Install Cydia". Then proceed. It'll show a pineapple on your iPhone with a loading bar, then a stream of white text. When it's done, put your device back into DFU mode, then go to RedSn0w > Extras > Just Boot and it'll boot your device.

I have one more request,Can you provide me a videolink(youtube) for the same

All you need is to download the iOS 6 IPSW from the sticky here for your 3GS

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-22984/

Then put your device into DFU mode by following the instructions here

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/

Then follow the first link and the text below to get rid of any 3194 errors.

Fix iTunes Error 3194 When Restoring / Updating To Stock or Custom 4.3.3 Firmware | Redmond Pie
Go to C:\Windows\System 32\drivers\etc\
Delete host.umbrella
Edit your host file by right clicking, then open or open with. Then use notepad. Delete ANY lines with gs.apple.com in them. Then save.

In iTunes, shift + click restore on iTunes, then point it to the IPSW downloaded. Wait for your device to be restored to iOS 6.

Download RedSn0w, run it as administrator, then go to Extras > Select IPSW. Again, select the IPSW you downloaded for iOS 6 for your 3GS. Then go back to the starting page, and press Jailbreak. Put your iPhone into DFU on your own or follow the on-screen instructions that will guide you with the counting and actions and all. Make sure you tick "Install Cydia". Then proceed. It'll show a pineapple on your iPhone with a loading bar, then a stream of white text. When it's done, put your device back into DFU mode, then go to RedSn0w > Extras > Just Boot and it'll boot your device.

You don't need a video. What you need is to read the text or Google the little things you don't understand to educate yourself, and so that if anything like this were to happen again, you wouldn't have a dead iPhone and you would at least know what to do. It's straight forward and all the links give you full details on what you need to do and what the results are.

Putting your device into DFU mode here

Removing hosts and editting hosts here

Do you know how to press your shift key and click? If not, here's WHERE the shift key is.

$220px-Keyboard-left_keys.jpg

Here's how to jailbreak your iPhone. All you had to do, was type in "jailbreak ios 6 tethered" and voila, Youtube.

Last edited by a moderator: