What's new

How to Untethered Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS/4 with RedSn0w[6.0-6.1.6]

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Update: @iH8Sn0w and @winocm has released an untethered patch for pre-A5 devices (iPhone 3GS New Bootrom, iPhone 4 and iPod Touch) This works for 6.1.3 and 6.1.6. Upon following the instructions to tethered jailbreak your device, open up Cydia, and install the package called "p0sixspwn" from Saurik's Telesphoreo default repository, and reboot your device.

iOS 6.0 - 6.1.2: if you're not using Evasi0n (why not?), you can follow this guide to tethered jailbreak your pre-A5 device, then install the "Evasi0n Untether for iOS 6" to untethered patch your device.

iOS 6.1.3,6.1.4,6.1.5 and 6.1.6: Follow this guide and install the "p0sixspwn" package to untethered patch your device or run the p0sixspwn utility outlined here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guide will teach you how to TETHERED jailbreak your iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 CDMA, iPhone 4 GSM, iPhone 4 World and iPod Touch 4th Generation. Note that the iOS 6.0 - 6.1.6 uses the iOS 6.0 IPSW REGARDLESS of what iOS 6.X you're on on your iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4th Generation. For iPhone 4 users, make sure you download the correct iPhone3,X IPSW. Make sure that your device is either a CDMA, GSM or World 4.

The instructions in this guide is the same when using iOS 5.1.1 and below for all devices, and for iOS 6.0-6.1.6 for pre-A5 devices. The Boot Tethered at the end is dependent on whether your jailbreak is tethered or not. Check this post to see which iOS and device combinations are tethered, and which are untethered. If you are jailbreaking iOS 5.1.1 or below, the procedure is still the same BUT replace the IPSW with the IPSW that matches your device for that specific iOS. Ex. iPhone 3GS on 5.1.1 will use the iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.IPSW in place of the 6.0 IPSW outlined in this guide. The reason this guide is titled with 6.0-6.1.3 is because if it was named it as "How to Jailbreak RedSn0w, it would be flooded with 'Can I jailbreak my iPhone 4S/5 on iOS 6.1.3 with this' or this would be ignored.
This set of instructions is compatible for the following device/iOS combinations as well:

• iPhone 2G/3G/3GS/4 on iOS 6.1.6 and below
  • iPad 1 on iOS 5.1.1 and below
  • iPod Touch 1G/2G/3G/4G on iOS 6.1.6 and below
  • iPhone 4S on iOS 5.0, 5.0.1 and 5.1.1
  • iPad 2 on iOS 4.3 - 4.3.3, 5.0, 5.0.1, and 5.1.1

For iPhone 3GS users that have the OLD BOOTROM, following this guide will result in an untethered jailbreak for any and all iOS versions.

In this guide, we'll be sampling with an iPhone 4 GSM.

Also, if your device's power/sleep button is broken, meaning you cannot manually DFU your device, follow this guide

Download Links:

RedSn0w 0.9.15 beta 3 Windows

RedSn0w 0.9.15 beta 3 Mac OSX

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-17213/

Step One:

Right click or control-click the Redsn0w application from the Redsn0w folder we extracted earlier and choose "
Run as administrator" (Applicable to Windows only)
118351-640.png

118352.png

Step Two
Once RedSn0w opens click the Extras button.
118354.png

Step Three
From the Extras menu click the Select IPSW button.
118357.png

Step Four
Point RedSn0w to your iOS 6.0 IPSW then click Open.
118360.png

Step Five
You'll be informed that the iOS 6.0 IPSW will be used for the rest of the session. Click OK.
118361.png

Step Six
Click the Back button and then click the Jailbreak button from the main menu.
118363.png

Step Seven
RedSn0w will now prepare the jailbreak data.
118366.png

Step Eight
Make sure "Install Cydia" is selected from the menu of tickboxes, then click Next.
118367.png

Step Nine
Put your device into DFU (Device Firmware Update) Mode. If you already know how to DFU a device, simply put it into DFU mode then proceed. Otherwise, follow the on-screen instructions.
118369.png

Step Nine[A] (If Applicable
RedSn0w will now guide you through the steps to get into DFU mode. If your device is in DFU mode already, you will not see this portion.
118372.png

Hold down both the Home button and the Power button for 10 seconds.
118373.png

Release the Power button and continue holding the Home button until RedSn0w detects the device.
118376.png

Step Ten
RedSn0w will now use exploit the LimeRa1n vulnerabilities on your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4.
118379.png

Step Eleven
RedSn0w will now reboot your device.
118387.png

Step Twelve
RedSn0w will upload a new RAM Disk and Kernel.
118388.png

Step Thirteen
Once this is complete you will be notified that RedSn0w is done and that this is a TETHERED jailbreak.
118394.png

BOOTING TETHERED
Once you've jailbroken your iPhone 3GS or 4, you will need to Boot Tethered to be able to use your device.
Note: Every time you turn your device off or reboot your device, you will be required to Boot Tethered in order to gain full functionality of your device

Step One
From the main RedSn0w menu click on Extras.
118400.png

Step Two
Select IPSW and again point it to the iOS 6.0 IPSW for your device.
118397.png

Step Three
Select Just Boot, put your device into DFU mode (if you don't know how to DFU your device, follow the on-screen instructions) and RedSn0w will proceed to boot tethered your device

Last edited:
The guide is foolproof. If you follow it to the word, you'll jailbreak your device.

Thank you for all your help but how long should it take to reboot it's been on "step eleven" for about 30-45 minutes now

When I get to "Wait for reboot" during the jailbreak, my Iphone's screen goes black, but is still backlit. It just sits for a while and nothing happens.

When I get to "Wait for reboot" during the jailbreak, my Iphone's screen goes black, but is still backlit. It just sits for a while and nothing happens.

In which step?

No problem. Skip ahead to the Boot Tethered portion on the bottom. That should fix the issue

11, Thanks for the quick reply.
Nevermind. I got it :D I redownloaded 6.0, making sure it was the right one. Just incase other people have the same problem. Thanks for the guide very helpful c:

New problem. When I go to boot it, after it reboots, I get the missing Keys error.

Missing key.plist errors are tied to the IPSW. Make sure you select the 6.0 IPSW before Just Booting and that it's the proper IPSW.

I must be doing something wrong. I got all the way through the long white code scroll and to the pineapple screen, stuck on the moving apps, then the phone shut down and the apple symbol came up and booted as if nothing happened. I then shut the phone off, and tried to "Just Boot" and then it says missing keys. I have a Verizon iPhone 4 and downloaded the 6.0 under CDMA. I gave selecting the IPSW another try and then trying but it is now stuck in "Waiting for Reboot". Any tips?

Last edited: