What's new

How to unlock iPhone 4S running on iOS 5?

hjthegeek

Reaction score
Hello,

My relative bought a iPhone 4S from UK with a O2 Sim. He went there for studies and now have shifted to India. He wants to unlock the phone so he can use a Indian SIM. He inquired to a unlocking expert but he demands Rs. 7,000 for unlocking. So, he will be sending me his iPhone today and wants me to try if I can unlock it. So is here anyone who have knowledge about unlocking the 4s or have did it before? Also, what is the difference between Jailbreaking and Unlocking? Thank you

Jailbreaking allows you to access the roots of your device for more flexible tweaking and such. Unlocking allows you to use carriers outside of what the device was built for.

The only way to unlock a 4S is through an interposer like the Gevey SIM or a factory/IMEI unlock. Both will require some kind of payment, just a matter of how much. Only buy Gevey SIMS from ApplenBerry.com as its the only trusted distributor for the SIM. As for a factory or IMEI, it's suggested that you get them from the original carrier of the device since its the most secure unlock. You can buy them from eBay as well but that's at your own risk

Jailbreaking allows you to access the roots of your device for more flexible tweaking and such. Unlocking allows you to use carriers outside of what the device was built for.

The only way to unlock a 4S is through an interposer like the Gevey SIM or a factory/IMEI unlock. Both will require some kind of payment, just a matter of how much. Only buy Gevey SIMS from ApplenBerry.com as its the only trusted distributor for the SIM. As for a factory or IMEI, it's suggested that you get them from the original carrier of the device since its the most secure unlock. You can buy them from eBay as well but that's at your own risk

OS Version: 5.0.1 (9A406)
Model: MD239B
Modem Firmware: 1.0.14

The thing that surprised me is that I find my model a factory unlocked in this list:
IPHONE 4s FACTORY UNLOCK LIST........ - GSM-Forum GSMReloaded

That just shows which types are unlockable, not that your specific device is unlocked if that's what you're thinking. Factory unlocks are native to devices, not models.