What's new

How to Jailbreak iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1

VizualDze

Reaction score
Hey guys I have been looking for a guide on how to Jailbreak my iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1, I saw in the 'Jailbreaking Methods for iPhone' that it only listed the iPhone 4 up to iOS 4.3.3 - does this mean I'm outta luck? Or can I use the guide for the 4s? Could anyone possibly point me in the direction of a guide if I'm able to Jailbreak?

Many thanks,
Craig.

Download redsn0w 0.9.10b5
Then, download an iPhone 4 5.0.1 ipsw
Run redsn0w (run as administrator if on windows)
When redsnow is open, go to extras, then click select ipsw, then select it.
When it verifies, go back, then it jailbreak, it will patch a kernel and blah blah.
Then turn your device off, and it will give u instructions to go into DFU.
After DFU, it will do the rest for you. Just leave your device plugged in!! U will have to choose some options like
-install cydia
-enable battery percentage

Only choose these two.

Happy jailbreaking!

It's an iPhone 4, not 4s. Thanks reahn5678 - it sounds a bit complicated, don't suppose there is a video guide? Is it possible to brick my phone doing this? This is my first dealings with Apple devices, more used to hacking Android.

Hey guys I have been looking for a guide on how to Jailbreak my iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1, I saw in the 'Jailbreaking Methods for iPhone' that it only listed the iPhone 4 up to iOS 4.3.3 - does this mean I'm outta luck? Or can I use the guide for the 4s? Could anyone possibly point me in the direction of a guide if I'm able to Jailbreak?

Many thanks,
Craig.

We have a great tutorial/sticky on how to jail break an iPhone 4 on iOS. It's here: http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25943

And yes, you will use redsn0w as Absinthe is only for the 4S (and the iPad2, for what it's worth). Not to worry, you won't "brick your phone. Bricking is actually a misnomer, cause that implies the phone will no longer work. At the worst, all you'd have to do, should you encounter errors or trouble, is to restore to stock. So, jail break away!

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

not trying to hijack the thread but can anyone tell me why when i go to extras/ select IPSW/ when i select the ipsw there is nothing there that my pc recognizes as a selectable file. There are a couple of files in the folder but nothing that i can select as an ipsw for redsn0w. thanks for any help.

stealthy0385 said:
not trying to hijack the thread but can anyone tell me why when i go to extras/ select IPSW/ when i select the ipsw there is nothing there that my pc recognizes as a selectable file. There are a couple of files in the folder but nothing that i can select as an ipsw for redsn0w. thanks for any help.

Save the ipsw to your desktop. Then select it when the menu pops up in redsn0w

We have a great tutorial/sticky on how to jail break an iPhone 4 on iOS. It's here: TUTORIAL - Jailbreak IOS5 using redsn0w for beginners

And yes, you will use redsn0w as Absinthe is only for the 4S (and the iPad2, for what it's worth). Not to worry, you won't "brick your phone. Bricking is actually a misnomer, cause that implies the phone will no longer work. At the worst, all you'd have to do, should you encounter errors or trouble, is to restore to stock. So, jail break away!

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Thanks, I'll get back to you with the outcome :)

Right as expected I've hit a snag. I have my device off, perform the actions to get the phone into DFU mode, but it keeps coming up saying "No device detected. You probably misunderstood the instructions. Please consult Google or YouTube for instructions on how to enter DFU mode."

Problem is, now my phone won't turn on. I disconnected it from the usb, and when I re-connect it, a bubble comes up in the bottom right saying "Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode)" so I think it's already where it's meant to be, but redsn0w still won't recognize it. When I plug it in, it does tell me that new hardware is found and asks for a CD. Do I need drivers or something installed for this to be detected properly? It mentions nothing about this in the tutorial.

Please help, as it stands just now my phone won't turn on.

Ah great, that's it back on again. Any ideas what I did wrong? Was it in DFU mode? And if so why didn't the computer recognize it? I'm using a Windows XP system.

VizualDze said:
Ah great, that's it back on again. Any ideas what I did wrong? Was it in DFU mode? And if so why didn't the computer recognize it? I'm using a Windows XP system.

From what u posted, it definately was in dfu. Resn0w might be buggy.

Ok will do, I was using 0.9.10b5c - I don't have iTunes or anything installed, does that make a difference?

VizualDze said:
Ok will do, I was using 0.9.10b5c - I don't have iTunes or anything installed, does that make a difference?

Not sure