What's new

How to jailbreak Iphone 4 on 6.1.3 without using the lock button?

hussnainh8

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how I can jailbreak ios 6.1.3 without having to use the lock button as my lock button is not working. I know about redsnow but this is no use as it requires me to go into DFU Mode and I can not do this without the lock button. I am looking for a tethered jailbreak because untethered is not released yet. Any help?

Can anyone also tell me if Ultrasn0w supports the latest 6.1.3 firmware? I am on 3 network in the United Kingdom and want to jailbreak and unlock this device using Ultrasn0w, Will this work?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how I can jailbreak ios 6.1.3 without having to use the lock button as my lock button is not working. I know about redsnow but this is no use as it requires me to go into DFU Mode and I can not do this without the lock button. I am looking for a tethered jailbreak because untethered is not released yet. Any help?

Can anyone also tell me if Ultrasn0w supports the latest 6.1.3 firmware? I am on 3 network in the United Kingdom and want to jailbreak and unlock this device using Ultrasn0w, Will this work?

I've taken the liberty in moving your thread over to the Jailbreaking section to receive better attention so you don't feel that your thread is being ignored since it's in the General Discussion section.

You'll have to create a DFU IPSW. Using RedSn0w, you can create one. Note that the IPSW must be the latest iOS's clean IPSW in order to work because it's still being checked through Apple's servers when using it with iTunes. You'll need to download 2 files
  • iOS 6.0 IPSW for your device and make (if applicable)
  • iOS 6.1.3 IPSW for your device and make (if applicable)
You can download them here

First you'll need to open up RedSn0w, go to Extras > Even More > DFU IPSW. Select the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW that you've downloaded. Make sure that it matches your device and its make if applicable. Let RedSn0w do its thing and it'll create a new IPSW with the header "ENTER_DFU_iPhoneX,X....". This should be in the same directory as the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW that you downloaded (putting it on your desktop is easier). If not, it's in your RedSn0w folder.

Now go to iTunes, plug your device in, go to your device's profile page, and shift+click or command+click the Restore button, and point it to the ENTER_DFU IPSW. It'll look like it's restoring, but at the end of the process, you'll be in DFU mode.

Once that's done, head back to RedSn0w, go to Extra > Select IPSW, and point it to the iOS 6.0 IPSW that you downloaded earlier, yes, 6.0. Click Back, click Jailbreak, click Next, let the jailbreak run, there you go. When prompted to Just Boot, again, you'll have to DFU using the same method, select the iOS 6.0 IPSW again in RedSn0w, then click Just Boot.

As for unlocking, even if your baseband is applicable to UltraSn0w's requirements, you can't unlock it on any iOS above iOS 6.1 since there aren't any UltraSn0w Fixers above iOS 6.1. Your best bet would be to buy an IMEI unlock or go to 3's website and get one (assuming you meet their requirements). IIRC it's something around 13-14 euros for it from 3, which is pocket change compared to CDMA 4S' unlock price.

Last edited:
I've taken the liberty in moving your thread over to the Jailbreaking section to receive better attention so you don't feel that your thread is being ignored since it's in the General Discussion section.

You'll have to create a DFU IPSW. Using RedSn0w, you can create one. Note that the IPSW must be the latest iOS's clean IPSW in order to work because it's still being checked through Apple's servers when using it with iTunes. You'll need to download 2 files
You can download them here

First you'll need to open up RedSn0w, go to Extras > Even More > DFU IPSW. Select the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW that you've downloaded. Make sure that it matches your device and its make if applicable. Let RedSn0w do its thing and it'll create a new IPSW with the header "ENTER_DFU_iPhoneX,X....". This should be in the same directory as the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW that you downloaded (putting it on your desktop is easier). If not, it's in your RedSn0w folder.

Now go to iTunes, plug your device in, go to your device's profile page, and shift+click or command+click the Restore button, and point it to the ENTER_DFU IPSW. It'll look like it's restoring, but at the end of the process, you'll be in DFU mode.

Once that's done, head back to RedSn0w, go to Extra > Select IPSW, and point it to the iOS 6.0 IPSW that you downloaded earlier, yes, 6.0. Click Back, click Jailbreak, click Next, let the jailbreak run, there you go. When prompted to Just Boot, again, you'll have to DFU using the same method, select the iOS 6.0 IPSW again in RedSn0w, then click Just Boot.

As for unlocking, even if your baseband is applicable to UltraSn0w's requirements, you can't unlock it on any iOS above iOS 6.1 since there aren't any UltraSn0w Fixers above iOS 6.1. Your best bet would be to buy an IMEI unlock or go to 3's website and get one (assuming you meet their requirements). IIRC it's something around 13-14 euros for it from 3, which is pocket change compared to CDMA 4S' unlock price.

I have done all these steps however, When the iphone gets passed the moving applications and adding cydia step the phone doesnt power itself on, so to get it to power on I have to go back into redsnow select 6.0 as the ipsw and then click just boot, this allows the phone to reboot and get to the setup screen of the firmware. When completing it all I dont get any service from my simcard? I dont understand why this happened. I tried restoring it using a backup but then itunes just comes up with "Your iphone is in recovery mode message". I know I havent done any of these steps wrong as I also followed a video on this yestarday which didnt work and then I tried again by using your steps which also hasnt worked. I can not seem to get my network to show up at the top left it just says "No service" when my simcard is in the phone.

I am now going to restore it again with ios 6.1.3 firmware and use it without a jailbreak. I have ordered a new power/lock button which will be arriving tommorow or saturday so when I have replaced the power button I will give the jailbreak another go. If there is anything else I could try then let me know.

Thank You.

Hi, sorry for reviving this thread, but it came up in google and it was exactly my problem. I hope that's ok.

I used to have jailbreak on iphone 4 - 4.2.1 and was very happy, but after upgrading to 6.1 eventually to get some new features (mainly assistive touch), there were some stability issues, and due to a broken Home-button, I didn't want to continue the process you are mentioning.

However, my power button right now is causing troubles... it seems to be pressed at 80% without causing an effect luckily, so it makes it very hard to actually press it and get my phone going. Assistive touch helps with the home button, its a life saver, but not with the power button. When the phone is sleeping, I need to either press home or power button to slide open, and there is no assistive touch on the black screen, if I am not mistaken. But I am open to suggestions.
So my only way out, is a jailbreak and the lovely activator app, using probably the mute button or the volume buttons, to activate the sleep/power button/function. That should last me until I can get the iphone 6 in 2014 I think...

As I mentioned, I am on 6.1 currently. And from what you are saying, I can't jailbreak on this version, because it isn't the latest IPSW ? I take it this thread was opened when 6.1.3 was the latest version of IOS, therefore jailbreak was possible on that version? Please clarify if I didn't understand you correctly.

I think there isn't an untethered jailbreak for IOS 7.x so, what are my options here? Please help. My iphone will soon be unusable, or I will have to carry the power cable to make it wake up, and also that the battery never dies...

Thank you very much in advance.

Jailbreaking does not depend on whether or not it's the latest version. If you're currently on 6.1, you can run Evasi0n, which requires no physical interaction with the device outside of clicking on an temporary app once during the procedure.

Jailbreaking does not depend on whether or not it's the latest version. If you're currently on 6.1, you can run Evasi0n, which requires no physical interaction with the device outside of clicking on an temporary app once during the procedure.

Sorry, I do not have so much experience with these matters, everytime I read tutorials, they seem to stress the fact of the version, and trying to trick the apple servers and such. Perhaps that has to do with the “unlock & jailbreaking".

So you are saying, that the latest version of Evation should simply jailbreak my device? No need for buttons, no need for IPSW ??? Just run the software with my connected device and follow a tutorial ?
Furthermore, what's the latest version I can get to (and how - if not with iTunes) and jailbreak untether ?

Thanks again in advance, you are really giving me hopes.

Hope this video can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope this video can help.

Why would you go through the trouble of using Sn0wBreeze to completely restore the device to jailbreak, when you can use Evasi0n's one-click utility.....

Sorry, I do not have so much experience with these matters, everytime I read tutorials, they seem to stress the fact of the version, and trying to trick the apple servers and such. Perhaps that has to do with the “unlock & jailbreaking".

So you are saying, that the latest version of Evation should simply jailbreak my device? No need for buttons, no need for IPSW ??? Just run the software with my connected device and follow a tutorial ?
Furthermore, what's the latest version I can get to (and how - if not with iTunes) and jailbreak untether ?

Thanks again in advance, you are really giving me hopes.

iOS 6.0-6.1.2 can be untethered jailbroken using Evasi0n. Guide is available here.

Last edited by a moderator:
iOS 6.0-6.1.2 can be untethered jailbroken using Evasi0n. Guide is available here.

Thanks a lot willerz2! Had I known that the jailbreak was so easy, I would have done it long ago. This was a great jailbreak, easy, fast… not painful at all. It calls for a donation!

Activator works fine… but seems to be constantly entering safe mode for some reason, when an other cydia app is running… couldn’t find which one, so removed everything and re-installed activator. Works fine with the volume buttons, I can now use both home & sleep button from there!

If anyone knows compatibility issues for the activator with any other cydia apps, send me a message. I will be testing one by one the apps to find the problem my self.

Thanks a lot willerz2! Had I known that the jailbreak was so easy, I would have done it long ago. This was a great jailbreak, easy, fast… not painful at all. It calls for a donation!

Activator works fine… but seems to be constantly entering safe mode for some reason, when an other cydia app is running… couldn’t find which one, so removed everything and re-installed activator. Works fine with the volume buttons, I can now use both home & sleep button from there!

If anyone knows compatibility issues for the activator with any other cydia apps, send me a message. I will be testing one by one the apps to find the problem my self.

It depends really. JailbreakMe, Absinthe and Evasi0n are considered the easy ones since they're all 1-click/1-swipe. If you were to do it manually on the 3GS, 4, and iPod Touch 4th Gen, you'd use RedSn0w, which is a slightly more extensive and some may consider "more advanced".

If you're using Activator from the stock repo, it shouldn't be giving issues. If you're running the latest beta, then there're a few known bugs that haven't been fixed yet. It may be one of the other tweaks you've installed. Activator has basically been a staple tweak since as far as I can remember to the point when jailbreaking starting chipping the ice off the block, and unless it's at least 95% stable, it won't be released from its beta state.