What's new

How to Guide to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.8 VERIZON IPHONE with pwnage tool (Untethered Mac)

Ok you supergeeks, let's see some of that hacking stuff. We've got 3 users, including myself, with the same result. Let's find the common thread and get this done. I'm on a Macbook pro with the latest snow leopard OS. Verizon 4.2.8 iphone and itunes 10.2.2. What could be the possible problem to the eternal white apple? There's something in that modified file itunes doesn't like because I'm always able to restore back to my original. Thanks in advance for all you do!

Uninstall and reinstall your itunes, and better, upgrade your itunes incase you haven't done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use pwnage 4.2 instead of 4.3.x. Worked for me first time.

good! so the link works and you managed to jailbreak?

No I wasn't able to get it through this method. I ended up following a different jailbreak guide, but even that is having some issues. I'm using redsn0w which so far works great except for the fact that it is tethered. For the other folks that may not know what the hell I'm talking about, tethered means you cannot boot the phone up without being plugged into your mac and with the assistance of the redsn0w app. God forbid your battery dies or for some reason you turn your phone off, you have to rush home, plug her in, and tether boot with redsn0w. First couple hours playing with Cydia you may come across a few apps that require you to restart the phone. Not a big deal in the initial setup phase. Just force it into DFU after it sits at its never ending apple for a good while (just to be sure it did in fact reboot and make its changes for the app) and tether boot.

The tutorial I followed is at this link:
How to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.8 on Verizon (CDMA) iPhone 4 Untethered? | Jaxov

You'll need to download a 4.2.6 ipsw (links are all on the page) and you'll want to keep a 4.2.8 copy somewhere easy to find (easier then digging in the library). The original poster at the link wasn't all too helpful as far as people asking questions in the comments section, but as I've gotten mine up and running and have been playing with all the awesome apps and tweaks I'd be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability. Keep in mind you should NOT do this form of jailbreaking if you're technically challenged or just lazy and want an untethered jailbreak, aka fully functional jailbroken iPhone.

I miiight give the tutorial in this thread another shot using 4.2 pwnagetools, but already having this thing jailbroken it might be more hassle then its worth just to have it untethered. If another person can confirm a success like sxgt, I'll give it a shot and report back.

EDIT: I know it says that tutorial is for untethered, but it aint. You'll see...step 10-12 can't be done because the developer pulled the patch from their servers.

Last edited:
Glad I found this forum. I am trying to jailbreak my verizon, but am running into all kinds of issues.

When I try to load the iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw file into pwangetool 4.3.3.1 it keeps telling me it is the wrong version and stops.

Any ideas?

It is the same version as my iphone, I believe.

Thanks

Glad I found this forum. I am trying to jailbreak my verizon, but am running into all kinds of issues.

When I try to load the iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw file into pwangetool 4.3.3.1 it keeps telling me it is the wrong version and stops.

Any ideas?

Thanks

did you do what is says at the start? right click ont he pwnage tool icon and show contents and then put the file in there that it says? maybe you forgot that part

Any ideas?

Thanks

did you do what is says at the start? right click ont he pwnage tool icon and show contents and then put the file in there that it says? maybe you forgot that part

Yup did that part also. I did notice that all the items in there have the extension ".bundle" so I transferred as a .ipsw file, no joy....then changed the extension to .bundle, also no joy...

I am at a loss....

Love this forum, longtime lurker, first time poster...

Anyway I wanted to add my own info to this. I am having the exact same issue as weddingshooter. I follow this guide exactly, it installs the file and says it will be available in iTunes, but then it never gets there. All I ever get is the white apple logo. Waited for over an hour just to be sure.
I have a brand new Macbook Pro SL 10.6.7, and iTunes 10.2.2 (12)
I have tried pwnage 4.2 and 4.3.2 to same outcome.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

you guys are using the custom firmware at the end to upgrade in with in itunes? and make sure you leave pwnage tool open during the process

you guys are using the custom firmware at the end to upgrade in with in itunes? and make sure you leave pwnage tool open during the process

Yes I did. I option clicked on restore and chose that custom restore file.
Couple things I just noticed.
1. You said to leave pwnage open. I can't remember for sure if that was the case or if I closed it. I will try again.
2. On the packages step should I be picking any of these or all of them? Or just leave it alone?
3. Also your link to pwnage is for version 4.3.3.1 this is a different version than I had. I am going to try with yours.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I am looking for "anything" different from your steps.

I am at work now but I will try it ASAP and report back.
Thanks for the help.

And if your itunes is not yet update, then remember to update it. It's very important.

Yes I did. I option clicked on restore and chose that custom restore file.
Couple things I just noticed.
1. You said to leave pwnage open. I can't remember for sure if that was the case or if I closed it. I will try again.
2. On the packages step should I be picking any of these or all of them? Or just leave it alone?
3. Also your link to pwnage is for version 4.3.3.1 this is a different version than I had. I am going to try with yours.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I am looking for "anything" different from your steps.

I am at work now but I will try it ASAP and report back.
Thanks for the help.

you dont have to add any packages.. thats just what will be added to cydia and will load onto your iphone, you can simply leave this blank if you are in any way un sure..

i will check about version of pwnage tool and update it if there is a newer version

Edit..

PwnageTool_4.3.3.1.dmg.6375459.TPB.torrent that is the latest version straight from the dev team website

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/5239805497/tic-tac-toe

No dice. I am still at the same thing. White apple logo. As an FYI I left pwnage open even though it says to close it when it's going to reboot.

No dice. I am still at the same thing. White apple logo. As an FYI I left pwnage open even though it says to close it when it's going to reboot.

When you leave pwnage tool alone, are you able to restore the iOS using itunes or it's the same issue?