What's new

How to connect iphone to W7 and transfer data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll need to sign in the Apple ID of the owner in order to use the device at all without being forced to restore if that's what you're asking.

Thank you for staying with me but a few things are not clear to me.
You'll need to sign in the Apple ID of the owner in order to use the device at all without being forced to restore if that's what you're asking.
1) Does this also imply accessing it on a computer over usb?
2) Is that ID linked to the person or the device; in other words: does (should/can) she have the same or different ID on the tablet & phone? The problem is that she is not familiar with these things that I have to figure that out for her.

iPads have always been very flexible devices. TBH, you manipulate your iPad without using your own AppleID on someone else's computer...
iPhones are a little more restricted, since they are a bit more "personal" since it is a phone afterall. ...
Now that you mention that, I have connected another ipad before to my laptop and also could access the storage.

To me, it's not clear whether not being able to access the phone is because of security, related to the ID, or something else.
I have very little experience with these mobile devices, just some experience with macs by enabling remote services (desktop/vpn).
It's because my general, broad knowledge of other platforms and willingness to help her that I'm looking into it.

It's more like the other way around, where the device is tied to the ID until you change it and whatnot. You can use the same ID on multiple devices (common for owners of both iPads and iPhones). I would say because the iPads tend not to have that much personal information such as contacts and calender events and such and such, there'd be a slightly more open access to it. Don't quote me on that particularly, just speculating.

Phones are generally the "holy grail" of information. If you have a phone that someone uses frequently, you can tell a lot about the person if you gain access to it, which might be why the iPhone has stricter security than the iPad. in my opinion.

Hi Jon, I threw the towel in the ring - you can't win them all - because she wanted her phone back, so this topic can be closed. Thanks A LOT for helping, it's very much appreciated! P.

Status
Not open for further replies.