What's new

charging / connection problems

gazzagolf

Reaction score
Hi Guys got a bit of a strange issue with my 4s.
Its about 18 month old or so and has worked fine throughout.
I just started having issues charging it but its quite random. If i connect it to my pc through a data cable i get a "USB device has malfunctioned" message, i have tried several cables including a brand new genuine Apple cable. I tried a data cable into the mains and that didn't work either, but both worked with my daughters 4s. However when i connected it to an external power pack i have it charged normally, i also have a case with a built in battery and that works. I have tried rebooting the phone, both plugged in and not, no difference. Sometimes it doesn't register as charging, no icon or on screen notification, but the power does go up but incredibly slowly. It's not desperate as i have the means to charge it if i carry the power pack or built in case charger but i'm worried it will die altogether. It has just worked plugged into the mains on same cable that it didn't work before and it charges fast and properly! Could it be the charger socket thats faulty? Or the battery? Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, its a fair way from here to nearest Apple store and i could do without any more expense right now!
Thanks in advance

See if a hard reset resolves the issue, which will eliminate software issues. If that does not resolve the issue, it may possibly be a hardware issue. I would lean more towards the 30-pin port being the issue since it works with some hardware. If it was a faulty battery, you would see the device not holding a charge or your battery draining extremely quickly even after a restore.

If the hard reset does not resolve the issue, see if cleaning out the port works. A can of compressed air would help to expunge any particles in the port. If neither resolves the issue, you may be looking towards a hardware issue.

Thanks for the reply,
Tried a hard reset, and cleaning the charging port but still no joy. wont connect to PC and connection to any charging device is at best hit and miss. Not due upgrade until May:( so looks like i will have to try and get by until then. Be a shame to just bin it after that tho as its a good phone otherwise but Apple will probably just go for the £140 replacement thing like always. Had a look online at 30-pin port replacement which looks complicated and means stripping the whole thing down and putting back together! Anyone here done it? Is it something that is doable realistically?
Cheers