What's new

Battery or Battery connection problem or something else?

caunyd

Reaction score
My iPhone 4S is seemingly having power problems. At times, unless the phone is plugged into the wall, it will completely shut down, as if there is no battery or power at all. During these times, plugging the phone into the computer using USB also doesn't help. When using the computer USB cord, there is no indication that the phone is charging, and in fact, it will not turn on. So the only time the phone will turn on and work is when it's plugged into the wall. During these times, even when it is plugged into the wall and working, the battery doesn't charge (although the thunderbolt sign is on and indicates that it's charging, the battery power doesn't change at all).

At other times, the phone works perfectly. I don't know what causes the switch.

My hypothesis is that there is a battery connection problem. Therefore, sometimes when the connection is good, the phone works normally. But when the connection is loose, the phone isn't receiving any power from the battery, then it needs to be plugged into the wall to get power, and due to the loose connection, the battery doesn't charge (even when the thunderbolt charging symbol is there). What I don't understand is why the phone won't power on when plugged into the computer

What do you guys think my problem might be? Thanks in advance

As you suspected, the problem may be in the connection. One hard ding in the past could have nuked it. Sounds to me like the 4S is still in warranty (hopefully) and a trip to the nearest Apple Store would be good. Other than that, I can offer no other advice.

...... After more thought, your battery could be compromised, or the connector may have an intermittent short that allows enough current to show that it is charging but not enough to boost the battery. This is a tough one. Again, think Apple Store.

EWyatt thanks for the advice. I thought it could be the battery itself too, but I never thought about it being the connector shorting out intermittently. Thanks for the suggestion.