What's new

How to connect iphone to W7 and transfer data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterZ

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to connect an iphone to a windows 7 pc and be able to copy/transfer text messages in the first place.
By searching the net I found this program: i-FunBox v2.1 | File Manager, Browser, Explorer, Transfer Tool for iPhone, iPad & iPod and connected the phone with the cable that is used for charging over usb by removing the power connector.
There is no sign that the phone is detected and the program also keeps searching for a phone.
The cable is 'ok' since charging is not a problem. I also tried over wifi because that program seems to be able to function that way too.

Do I need a certain driver for the phone or what? There is no unknown device in device manager.
Or is there another/better way to achieve this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Peter

You need the iPhone's driver installed already. Plus, you can use iTunes as well for easier management of data. iFunBox and iExplorer are generally more for advanced users and advanced conditions

Hi willerz2, thank you for your quick reply!
I woud prefer not to install itunes and all the software that comes with it, that's why I searched for an alternative to do the job.

Can I download that driver somewhere - have checked the apple website.
On the other hand, shouldn't windows 7 detect that phone, even as an unknown device?

Windows 7 will detect it as a camera, so you'll only have access to the DCIM folder on the iPhone. If you want just the driver itself for iFunBox, download the iTunesSetup.exe from the iTunes site, rename it or open it using Winrar. Look for the files called "AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi" and "Quicktime.mis" and extract them. Install both and you're good to go. You might have to replug your iPhone in once you install the two.

Hi willerz2, installing the msi files didn't work; I got an issue with the apple mobile service that wouldn't start. This problem seems to occur regularly so I installed the whole package.
FYI: the quicktime msi is not part of the itunessetup (?anymore?).
Now itunes is working, the apple mobile service is running but the phone is still not detected.

There is 1 thing that I noticed: the phone shows a message in the left-upper corner 'Locked SIM'.
Could that be the reason for this issue?
To be complete: this is the phone from a neighbor who needs those messages but is not using the phone anymore since she had a problem with it.
I don't know the whole story and don't want to know more about but she really needed this and I offered to help.
That's also why I'm not familiar with that platform.

Any help is very appreciated!

Pop open Device Manger while the iPhone is plugged in and look for an unknown device and attempt to update/install the driver. Or if you see the iPhone Mobile driver, reinstall it and reboot.

No unknown device or iphone mobile driver...

If that's the case, uninstall iTunes, delete all the associated files with iTunes in your C:\User\<Username>\AppData (Apple and Apple Computer files). Uninstall your USB drivers as well. Reboot, reinstall and it should be working.

Nope Jon, none of this works.
I seem to have the latest itunes version & apps, no unnamed drive, no unknown device.
From itunes, I ran the 'Run diagnostics' and all is ok except that no deviice (ipod, ipad or iphone) has been found.
All related services are running - the one tested by the diagnostics tool.
Usb ports are ok, tried different ones and nothing else is plugged in.

Could it be that some other service might be needed? I tweaked my windows and disabled quite some services.
Another thing for which I cannot find any clear answer: what should happen with the battery icon when connected? It's grey, nothing flashing and currently 63% remaining.
The cable should be ok since I have charged the device over usb - she gave me a bad cable at first but this one is charging at least.

I'm off to bed now.

EDIT: In case it's important, it's an iphone 4 with ios 5.1.1

Last edited:
When you install iTunes, the entire package is package is included. If anything, try setting up a new user on your computer, install iTunes.exe on there and try it that way. It might be that the local data is conflicting.

Hi Jon, no difference. Created a new user with admin rights and reinstalled.
Could it be some setting in the phone itself and even though there might be a problem software wise: shouldn't w7 detect that phone somehow when plugged in?

Windows 7 by default can't find the driver files remotely. You'll have to install iTunes as a bundle, then plug it in. If not, you might want to manually see if you can remove the driver.msi you installed prior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk &#63743;

I tried the same with an ipad and immediately I got a removable drive - so driver is installed automatically.
Did this on multiple systems and the device was recognized, just plug-and-play.

It seems like it has something to do with the phone itself, no?

iPads have always been very flexible devices. TBH, you manipulate your iPad without using your own AppleID on someone else's computer, or that might just be me o_O

iPhones are a little more restricted, since they are a bit more "personal" since it is a phone afterall. Why this is happening, I'm not entirely sure.

about the ID: the phone asks to enter it but I have cancelled that. Could this be the reason?

EDIT: is that ID linked to a device or a person?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.