What's new

How do you download new version for Iphone 4?

r0ck2

Reaction score
I bought a new Iphone 4G last summer. It still has the old version -- (OS 4.3.1) I am trying to figure how do you download a new version. Thanks!

r0ck2 said:
I bought a new Iphone 4G last summer. It still has the old version -- (OS 4.3.1) I am trying to figure how do you download a new version. Thanks!

Connect to your computer and update via iTunes. It will set you up w/ the latest version, iOS 5.0.1.

Before you update, you might want to consider preserving the BaseBand. The latest iOS 5 BaseBand can't be unlocked. Your iPhone will be worth $100 more if you preserve the BaseBand.

To preserve the BaseBand, download Sn0wbreeze and the iOS 5.0.1 ipsw file. Open Sn0wbreeze and use BaseBand Preservation Mode. Sn0wbreeze will create a custom ipsw on your desktop. Connect you iPhone to your computer, open iTunes, hold down the shift key and then select the option that says Restore. It will let you select your custom ipsw that is on your desktop.

Before you update, you might want to consider preserving the BaseBand. The latest iOS 5 BaseBand can't be unlocked. Your iPhone will be worth $100 more if you preserve the BaseBand. To preserve the BaseBand, download Sn0wbreeze and the iOS 5.0.1 ipsw file. Open Sn0wbreeze and use BaseBand Preservation Mode. Sn0wbreeze will create a custom ipsw on your desktop. Connect you iPhone to your computer, open iTunes, hold down the shift key and then select the option that says Restore. It will let you select your custom ipsw that is on your desktop.
Mischief makes a very good point... the resale value of an iPhone is definiltey increased when it's fully updated and also has an Unlockable Baseband. Thanks Mischief!!!

r0ck2 said:

You can also build a signed Ipsw with iFaith. That way you can always restore to that 5.0.1 Ipsw no matter what new iOS is out, and it doesn't matter if 5.0.1 isn't being signed any more.

Plus all iFaith Ipsw's preserve your baseband. Literally all of ihsn0w's custom Ipsw tools preserve baseband.

You guys all make valid points and I agree that you should preserve your baseband, but what baseband version are you actually running on right now? Is your iPhone locked?

You guys all make valid points and I agree that you should preserve your baseband, but what baseband version are you actually running on right now? Is your iPhone locked?
It's safe to assume that the OP hasn't preserved any previous Basebands... on iOS 4.3.1 the BB would be 4.10.01. This Baseband is only Unlockable via the Gevey Ultra Sim... but it's still an option that makes it more valueable.

Yes be sure to preserve the baseband. Just simply ask for a step by step on here or YouTube it. Your phone is hard to come by since so many people have updated their phones and lost their ability to unlock via gevey. I suggest putting it on Craigslist and trading someone and get a little cash for one that was updated accidentally lol. Might be able to pull at least 100 bucks plus swap.

Thomasjtsi -- I clicked the "Itune" link, it took me to Apple homepage. I couldn't find download for Iphone. So I assume I click ITunes 10.5 for Mac and PC? Is that the one I need to download for my PC then I can connect my IPhone to download ISO 5.0.1? Thanks!

r0ck2 said:
Thomasjtsi -- I clicked the "Itune" link, it took me to Apple homepage. I couldn't find download for Iphone. So I assume I click ITunes 10.5 for Mac and PC? Is that the one I need to download for my PC then I can connect my IPhone to download ISO 5.0.1? Thanks!

Correct... if you do not already have iTunes on your PC then you'll need to download it. Once it's complete you'll be able to update to the latest iOS version.

if you do it like that it will update the baseband.... I suggest spending the extra 20 minutes in preserving your baseband...