What's new

How do I get my "music" back in the correct order?

gigman7

Reaction score
I have an audio book uploaded to my phone that I have ordered by chapter named 01, 02, 03, etc. For some reason the phone has decided to rearrange these for me so now they are not in the correct order. How do I get them back in the correct order and keep them from being rearranged again?

That happened to me with some music on my Mac, I restarted my Mac and then the tracks were in the right order, I don't know if that would work on your iPhone.

That happened to me with some music on my Mac, I restarted my Mac and then the tracks were in the right order, I don't know if that would work on your iPhone.
I tried this several times. It didn't work.

Are they imported from a CD, and did you rename the titles with the number only?

The iPhone doesn't rearrange the order of "music" files. When you use iTunes to sync your files, this can happen, though. You'd have to use a scheme like this: book title, chapter number, to get them into the right order.

I have one two disc album that does this. I downloaded it from the CDs, in the proper order. It divides into three, even though in front of each tune the proper order number is displayed, it shows doc one with tune # 1,2,5,6-9,disc two with tune# 3,4 and disc three with the rest. I have never been able to correct this and would love it for someone to provide the correction.
But, my work-around is that I made a playlist with the disc set Title and put each of the tunes on the plaits in the correct order.

I also have a three disc set that "pairs up" two of the discs and shows the third as a single disc. I have put all this up to iTunes oddity or my mismanagement of iTunes.

Are they imported from a CD, and did you rename the titles with the number only?

The iPhone doesn't rearrange the order of "music" files. When you use iTunes to sync your files, this can happen, though. You'd have to use a scheme like this: book title, chapter number, to get them into the right order.
I don't remember exactly how I did this one. I have more than one audio book on there. They were all in the same order. Some of them I renamed slightly so they would be in alphabetical order in the order by chapter. It used to be in the right order, now it is all mixed up.

I have one two disc album that does this. I downloaded it from the CDs, in the proper order. It divides into three, even though in front of each tune the proper order number is displayed, it shows doc one with tune # 1,2,5,6-9,disc two with tune# 3,4 and disc three with the rest. I have never been able to correct this and would love it for someone to provide the correction.
But, my work-around is that I made a playlist with the disc set Title and put each of the tunes on the plaits in the correct order.

I also have a three disc set that "pairs up" two of the discs and shows the third as a single disc. I have put all this up to iTunes oddity or my mismanagement of iTunes.
Mine did this exact same thing. It just decided the order I needed them in instead of leaving them in the order I wanted them in.

I have one particular album on all my devices and its split into two on all of them but what appears in each half is different on each device. This includes my iTunes library on my MacBook Pro.

I have one particular album on all my devices and its split into two on all of them but what appears in each half is different on each device. This includes my iTunes library on my MacBook Pro.
Why would it do this?