What's new

iPhone 4S v iPhoto Albums issue!

NapoleonSolo

Reaction score
Good evening!
I would be very grateful if some kind soul out there would help me solve an issue I am having with iPhoto and my 4S. It is totally doing my head in and yesterday, while visiting the Apple Store to address this problem, I was told I couldn't be helped! This is surely not unsolveable...so, HELP please!

Okay, as clearly and concisely as I can.

In iPhoto I have my albums arranged as I like them. For example A B C D E ...etc... Basically, when I want to look at my photos on my iPhone, I like the most recent Album at the top of the list and that is how they are set up in iPhoto.
However, when I sync my iPhone, all the Albums become rearranged on my phone into the date order they were created in. Thus, the most recent Album will be at the botrtom of the list.
Totally different to how they are set up in iPhoto and also the PHOTOS section of iTunes(Which echoes the order in iPhoto)...

I once spent loads of time rearranging them into order on the iPhone and all was good when I synced the phone. However, when I created a NEW Album and synced, everything was rearranged back into 'date created' order.
This is so frustrating.

The kind folk at the Apple Store said it may be a Settings issue but I have had no luck in finding where that issue is and how to change it.

I hope this all makes sense, if you need more clarifaction, please ask.

Many thanks.

Technically, it is what I like to call a "perception bug". How you want it to work and how it actually works are in conflict.

No settings will fix this issue for you. The data is being synced in a particular way and it is consistent. You have only one choice. Try to report it as a bug thru https://bugreport.apple.com/ but be aware it may only work for developers (which I am and have full access).

Thank you for getting back to me...a 'Perception Bug', huh?
If I was report it as you advised, what would happen after that?
Is there anyway it will be addressed and in turn fixed, or am I looking at a wall?
Many thanks again.

Well, that is a tough call. iTunes syncing to iPhones is now over 3 years old. And in regards to photos, there has been no changes to that part of iTunes syncing in a year. So they know the code works as "they expect it too".

But, and here is where it gets interesting, you have downloaded a new app that is written by Apple. It changes the "perception of use". Which means, you have to be very precise in your write up of the issue. IE I would treat this as a first year college thesis. Provide as much info about the perception of the expected behavior, steps to reproduce the desired results, the step that undoes that desired result and finally as many screen shots as possible of each step.

Good afternoon.
I apologize for not responding to your really helpful reply to my dilemma...I got caught up in after-work drinking and morning suffering over the last few days. However, now my head is clear and I can converse with you more!

I understood what you wrote however, one point doesn't sit right with me..."you have downloaded a new app that is written by Apple." What exactly do you mean by this ? Perhaps I wasn't being totally clear with my explanation. Basically, I have iPhoto by default installed on my iMac and I sync through iTunes with my 4S. I haven't actively download a new app in any way. Could you clarify?
All my software is up-to-date although I am running iPhoto '09. Would this have any bearing on the sync issue by any chance?

Reporting this problem to Apple with the hope of some kind of fix sounds challenging but I am pretty much up for it if that's what needs to be done.

On a slightly different note, regarding the forums, is there any way of deleting old threads started that are no longer relevant?

Thank you once again!

I was referring to iCloud as the new program. While I know iCloud doesn't directly effect the situation you are describing, it is a large enough change to the iPhoto, iTunes and iOS 5 software base that you might be able to get someone to take a hard long look at your description of the issue and say "You know, he's right. That would make the program set easier to use".