What's new

How back up iOS and Save IPSW before jailbreak?

turbo

Reaction score
I tried to JB my phone some weeks ago before learning that 4s 6.0.1 was not compatible :(

I also learned that it could have work had I saved IPSW for 5.1.1 ... So, I want to save and backup my current iOS for future use to allow me to roll back if I need to.

How do I go about doing this?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
No, if you upgraded your iPhone 4S to iOS 6, you cannot downgrade back to iOS 5 regardless of whether you have blobs or not. To create a backup of your iPhone's data, open up iTunes, right click your iPhone on the left-hand taskbar, and click Backup. Or, if you're using iTunes 11, open up your iPhone's profile, tick "Backup to my computer" then click on "Backup Now" on the right on the very same screen. This will backup your data.

I'm not entirely sure you know what you're talking about. You're referring to SHSH blobs and not IPSW when you're referring to downgrading.

Yea sorry SHSH ... Basically what happened was before the new jailbreak was released, I tried to jailbreak using redsnow but later found out my iphone 4s wasn't compatible with 601.. I tried to roll back but couldnt.

My question is, how do I create these SHSH file so if in future, I upgrade.... I can later roll back to my current version of 601

Thanks

If your device is already jailbroken, Cydia will automatically retrieve them for you. Otherwise, you'll need to use RedSn0w > Extras > SHSH Blobs to save them, or you can use TinyUmbrella to retrieve them.

No my device is not jailbroken, so I need redsn0w? I want to create shsh before I jailbreak :)

The only SHSH blobs that you can save now are iOS 6.1 blobs. If you did not manually save them before, or did not jailbreak your device before, you will not have saved blobs for other SHSH blobs, you cannot retrieve them anymore now that the signing windows for those iOS are closed, you cannot download them, you cannot make them, you cannot hack your phone or whatever to make it. There. Is. No. Workaround.

I tried to JB my phone some weeks ago before learning that 4s 6.0.1 was not compatible :(

I also learned that it could have work had I saved IPSW for 5.1.1 ... So, I want to save and backup my current iOS for future use to allow me to roll back if I need to.

How do I go about doing this?

Thanks

Easy method is to restore to iOS 6.1 then use the evasi0n jailbreak....